Thin Lizzy (Official Thread)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Re: Thin Lizzy

Sorry....I haven't been in since Massacre..there are plenty of Thin Lizzy songs and melodies I like. They're just one of those great bands from school years that have held up well over time like U.F.O.,Nazareth,Heep and countless other, IMO, Metal bands of the 70's.

I still will never forget the excitement of my brother bringing home Jailbreak on 8-Track of all things. Before that I had heard Boys are Back In Town on the radio and still remember thinking it was the new KISS song...:heheh:

Detroit Rock City had come out before. Hey I was a kid....but the DJ said ,"Thin Lizzy" and from that point on I was excited. I though that was the coolest name.

I had to move backwards in time to learn more about a great band that, up to that point, I had missed some great years. :grinthumb

51p66Ij-xDL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I did the same thing MP, I bought Jailbreak first and worked my way backwards, and kept up with the new releases at least up to Thunder & Lightning.

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score

Love Lizzy.

My collection isn't huge, but pretty much wore out my copy of Jailbreak. My favorite tune is the Cowboy song, the studio version, and they do a live version that they play together with Bob Seger's Rosalie. They did a great job with harmonized guitar parts.

Live and Dnagerous seems to get more attention, but I always prefereed the harder to find Life Live disc. I remember this summer job I had in high school. One of my co-workers had a copy of Life Live. I would go out every day at lunch, grab a sandwich, take my um .."medication", and go back in and sit out back and listen to it. What a great live album it was!

Rocker440

Reaction score

^^^I think some people may give more attention to 'Live and Dangerous' mostly due to it being released while both the guitar duo of Brian Robertson and Scott Gorham were with the band, I believe that was the last two album set that they did together in Thin Lizzy.

There are many great songs on 'Live and Dangerous' and many are long time favorites, too! :)

I do think that Thin Lizzy did continue to progress after Brian Robertson left, and with some exemplary guitarists, too. Gary Moore, Snowy White and John Sykes were all well-established guitarists prior to joining Thin Lizzy, and continue to be very successful.

I do enjoy "Life/Live" in several ways. It was the last Thin Lizzy release with Phil Lynott, also it was an excellent live recording, that also includes several of their songs from 'Black Rose' 'Chinatown' 'Renegade' and 'Thunder and Lightning'!! I especially like the nice touch of allowing all of the previous guitarists' to jam on particular songs, and the encore is fantastic! :tup::rock:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Something cool to add to this thread. Phil Lynott appeared on one song for 80's swedish metal band "HEAVY LOAD's" album Stonger Than Evil.

The song is called Saturday Night and has a real Thin Lizzy vibe.

Enjoy... ( I have this album and it's real good)

HEAVY LOAD/ PHIL LYNOTT ~ SATURDAY NIGHT

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score

You know, I thought about making a Thin Lizzy thread a little while back, but I just assumed there already was one and didn't want to search for it :p
On topic, I love their album "Renegade". Angel of Death is my favorite track!

Here's Angel Of Death, great song! Too bad the video is just one picture.

But the song still sounds great.

Renegade was the 1st Thin Lizzy album I ever bought. I was in the Army at the time at Ft. Polk, LA and went to the PX and saw it there. Thought the album cover looked cool and went ahead and got it. I've been hooked on them ever since.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

What a band I had planned to go see them on the Thunder and Lightning tour but for some reason I ended up not going. So I never got to see Phil I have regretted it ever since. My favourite track is Opium Trail Off Bad Reputation I think Phil Lynott was a true poet.

Rocker440

Reaction score

^^That is one of my favorite Thin Lizzy songs as well, Sox! :tup: I also very much like the cover version that John Norum (ex Europe guitarist) does of it, too.

Phil Lynott was a very remarkable, talented person and musician. He is certainly missed, imo. He was a very solid, skilled bass guitarist and wrote excellent songs, with cool, catchy and appealing lyrics! Thin Lizzy is a long time favorite band and I enjoy all of the great music that they released! :)

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

I think as well Rocker440 that Phil had a great rock voice kind of smooth and cool he was how a lead vocal should be with a big personality. My brother in law saw them at Newark when they first kicked off when Eric Bell was in the band, he paid just 50p.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online