Thin Lizzy (Official Thread)

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Re: Thin Lizzy

^^^ Strange what time will do DKW, I know there's a few bands and line ups I listen to now that at one time wouldn't have bothered with ? .. The new Thin Lizzy outfit played a couple of dates close by earlier in the year I pondered but didn't go in the end .. maybe next time.

:) Sunny That's an all time fave of mine .. What a track :bow:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

^^^ Strange what time will do DKW, I know there's a few bands and line ups I listen to now that at one time wouldn't have bothered with ? .. The new Thin Lizzy outfit played a couple of dates close by earlier in the year I pondered but didn't go in the end .. maybe next time.

:) Sunny That's an all time fave of mine .. What a track :bow:

Is that new line up of Thin Lizzy still playin' these days???

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

^^ They have just finished or are still on a UK tour I think MP and I think they are on at the High Voltage Festival (not sure though).

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^You and Sweaty going to High Voltage this year Sox?

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

^^^Sweaty is LG .. I'm off to see Iron Maiden at Sheffield the same weekend. The Festival line up looks great though he'll have a blast I'm sure.

justme

Reaction score

My fav 3 albums of theirs are Fighting, Johnny the Fox and Jailbreak....wow what a band.
Indeed a sad day it was when Phill passed on, but man did he leave behind a lifetime of memories!

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
Did you know? :D

The Boys Are Back in Town | AllMusic

Although the great Thin Lizzy was responsible for countless all-time classic hard rock tunes, undoubtedly their best-known Lizzy track is "The Boys Are Back in Town." A permanent fixture on classic rock radio the world over, the song contains all of the band's musical trademarks -- Phil Lynott's poetic (yet tough) storytelling lyrics, Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson's melodic guitar harmonies, etc. Before the release of Lizzy's 1976 release Jailbreak, the band had yet to truly break through worldwide, despite racking up a Euro-hit in the early '70s with a cover of "Whiskey in the Jar." But "The Boys Are Back in Town" changed all of that. The original title for the song was "G.I. Joe Is Back in Town," due to Lynott's admiration of the popular U.S. comic book/action figure G.I. Joe, as the lyric's dealt with a Vietnam soldier coming back from the war. According to the book Phil Lynott: The Rocker (by Mark Putterford), the main melodic guitar riff was based on the early Bruce Springsteen song "Kitty's Back" (from 1973's The Wild, the Innocent and the E-Street Shuffle). After unsuccessfully nailing the lyrics with the "Vietnam soldier" theme, Lynott changed the lyrics to a bunch of rowdy friends going out and having a good time. When the single was issued in April of 1976, it was an instant hit, reaching number eight in the U.K., topping the charts in Ireland (Lynott's home country), and climbing to number 12 in the U.S. The song has proven to be timeless, as it has become a staple at sporting events, as well as being used in T.V. commercials and in the children's movie Toy Story.

I just read this and of course I thought it was pretty cool. :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online