They Call Me

Dr. Love

Reaction score
Ohio, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
THE SHORT VERSION

Hello! These are my favorite classic rock bands right now (in alphabetical order):

• AC/DC
  • Black Sabbath
  • The Doors
  • The Jimi Hendrix Experience
  • KISS
  • Led Zeppelin
  • Lynyrd Skynyrd
  • The Rolling Stones
It's great to be here!

~

THE "MY CLASSIC ROCK LIFE STORY" VERSION

I was born in a crossfire hurricane, I mean Ohio in the early 70s. I was first raised mainly on my mom's music, which was Top 40 (of the day), Oldies, and a whole lot of Elvis records. (I remember complaining about her playing an Elvis Christmas record in July!). AM/FM, 8-tracks and vinyl.

In 1978 we moved to a new town and the first friend I made in my new neighborhood was a kid who's family had the entire KISS discography. Rob was a older latch-key kid who had his home to himself until his parents got home from work, so almost every day after school we went over to his place and rocked out to a KISS album at way too loud volume. KISS quickly became my first favorite band and "Dr. Love" was my first favorite song (although the meaning of the lyrics was mostly beyond me at that young age). For Halloween 78, I was Gene, and Rob was Paul. As a rock minority among the kids in my neighborhood, we used to sit in the back of the school bus and chant things like "Disco sucks! KISS rocks!" to annoy them.

I have some other vague rock memories of the 70s, the strongest of which was probably just loving Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2 (which was banned in my elementary school along with D&D). In 1980 Rob's family moved away, and all the KISS records went with them. In 81, my parents befriended a couple they played cards with, and they had older high school kids who introduced me to AC/DC through Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, which I fell in love with.

In 1982 my parent's divorced and my brother and I moved with my mom to the other side of town. The first friends I made there were a pair of brothers near my age who introduced me to Rush through Moving Pictures (the latest studio album at the time), but they had the entire catalog so we listened to it all.

Around this time I started to take a more active interest in music, meaning I began listening to my own radio stations and buying my own records instead of just listening to what other people played for me. In 1983 my most beloved 45 was Mr. Roboto by Styx, but I also got into the Yes and ZZ Top albums of the day. Through the mid-80s (junior high and early high school), I was mainly into pop of the day, such as Prince, Men At Work, and Huey Lewis and the News.

Then in 1987 I was watching MTV and saw a special about Def Leppard and became intrigued by the comeback story after drummer Rick Allen lost his arm. After seeing the first video, I bought Hysteria and got into it. Def Leppard would eventually be my gateway back into less cheesy hard rock. In high school I saw Def Leppard and Living Colour in concert.

Most of high school, my core friends and I didn't have girlfriends or date much, so the weekends were usually spent drinking, cruising and looking for parties to bust, going to movies and going to Pizza Hut. Mike (one of the brothers who got me into Rush back in 82), played a lot of Led Zeppelin on the juke box and I bought Zeppelin IV on vinyl (although by then I had largely transitioned to cassette tape because you could take it on the road with you).

At first I couldn't stand Axl Rose's voice so had no use for Guns N' Roses, but one night I went over a to a classmate's house for an allnighter to cram for a calculus test (yes, I'm a math whiz). He played GN'R Lies on repeat all night long, and by the morning I had been converted to a GN'R fan. My senior year I took a summer school class that let out at 11:00, so a bunch of us would go back to my friend Marty's house and party before our parents got off work, blasting Metallica and Motley Crue records. I dated a girl that had The Rolling Stones' Some Girls playing in her car non-stop, all summer long.

In 1990, I went off to college and that school year I had 3 roommates. One used to work at a rock radio station back in his home town. He had Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Hear and The Wall. Another roommate had a lot of AC/DC which I got back into. And we listened to a lot of the local classic rock radio station. In the fall of 91 and all of 92, I was all about GN'R Use Your Illusion I & II, and Nirvana. Somewhere along the way I got into classic 70s Aerosmith. In 92, I picked up Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hounds, and that became a staple of my fraternity's musical diet.

In 1993, I met my college sweetheart, Debbie, who was one of the biggest Rolling Stones fans on the planet and a classic rock guru. With her, I listened to every Stones and Beatles album on vinyl. We listened to the local classic rock station and watched a lot of rockumentary/concert videos. She taught me a lot about rock history. She had a strict definition for classic rock being 60s and 70s only, which did influence my personal definition today (but does not exactly match hers). We got the Led Zeppelin Box Set on CD. During this time, a fraternity brother took me to see The Grateful Dead in concert (yes, with Jerry Garcia before he died). Some of my fraternity brothers and I discovered the Doors movie which lead to us getting into the music. I bought Black Sabbath's self-titled debut album for a $1 and used to listen to it every Sunday morning before church. Somewhere along the way, I got into Jimi Hendrix. I truly gained a deep appreciate for classic rock in these years, and began to identify myself as a classic rock fan. Debbie and I broke up in 95, but my love for classic rock remained.

In 1998, I met my girlfriend Jessica who I would live with for 4 years. She got me into Lynyrd Skynyrd. I've slowly continued to build up my classic rock collection over the years, and now consider myself somewhat of a classic rock aficionado.

Last year I started having ideas to form a fan-operated classic rock "hall of fame" type of society, and I'd eventually like to start my own classic rock internet radio station. Then recently I thought, there's got to be general classic rock forums with a fan community to interact with, and Google brought me here.

Bless you if you read all of that! Questions? Comments? Concerns? :)

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
One question...

Do you now own the Elvis Christmas cd?

Doctor tells his patient he has 6 months to live. Guy couldn't pay his bill, the doc gave him another 6 months.

Welcome aboard.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good to have more AC/DC fans. Welcome :)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Nice to read such an in depth intro Dr. Love, welcome 'officially' to the forum.:D

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online