The Worst Musical Decade?

The Worst Musically Talented Decade. Choose one.

• The 1950's

Votes: 20 12.6%
  • The 1960's

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • The 1970's

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • The 1980's

Votes: 32 20.1%
  • The 1990's

Votes: 18 11.3%
  • The 2000's

Votes: 82 51.6%

• Total voters

SanguineRemedy

Speed Demon
Reaction score
Says the guy with the Blondie avatar. :****:

There's more to Blondie than a few 80s hits. :wank:

Besides, I believe the majority of bands and musicians that sprouted in this decade were more in it for commercial success rather than actually caring about the music they made.

Even those that did try were pretty ****. Not saying the decade is devoid of anything worth listening to, though...

Aero

Reaction score
There's more to Blondie than a few 80s hits. :wank:

Besides, I believe the majority of bands and musicians that sprouted in this decade were more in it for commercial success rather than actually caring about the music they made.

Even those that did try were pretty ****. Not saying the decade is devoid of anything worth listening to, though...

Interesting. I would say that the bands nowadays are much more into it for commercial reasons.

Sure, there was bubble gum pop music back then but there were a lot of bands trying new styles and trying to create music that was outside the pop genre. They knew they weren't gonna go platinum but they didn't care.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I find it rather ludicrous to generalise every band in certain decades of doing things for commercial reasons. No one really can say for sure just simply because those decades or eras aren't to their liking.

SanguineRemedy

Speed Demon
Reaction score
@Aero @Riff Raff

I'd have to agree with you both, but the 80s did have many sellouts and commercial success hunts going for it. Perhaps from a perspective that labels it as an experimental decade (all music could be considered experimental...) many groups were pretty terrible compared to prior sound (maybe not disco, yeah?)... BUT could be considered justified by musical influence and alterations, as well as many other contributing factors. Solely music? Definitely not... Change is good, but change knows no boundaries. And I'm not speaking of the entire scope of the 80s. Again, it's not devoid of anything worth listening to. There were many great acts from the decade, as all decades have something fascinating and worth listening to, really.

I guess I did sound like I was generalizing, but I'm not too fond of the 80s because most of the stuff I've listened to from that decade doesn't really connect with me. However, I speak from a very isolated and picky playlist and should expand my listening tastes and give stuff another shot.

Thanks to both of you for worthwhile inputs.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Experimenting with sound does not automatically mean selling out either. I am also completely at odds with people calling bands sellouts for changing their sound. I think every band has the right if they so desire to take a different approach to their music and writing. The only time I'd call it selling out is if they were really transparent about only doing it for the money to follow trends but also if a band only does something to cater to the fans along with that giving up artistic integrity. Bands owe the fans absolutely nothing in terms of artistic desire.

There's shit music in every decade of music's existence but a lot of good stuff too. :Laziness is no justification for tarring entire musical decades of having nothing good.

nedkelly

Reaction score
The 80s: I remember people saying "finally, music is back in the clubs and away from the open air concerts", as if big electric guitars in open stages were to be avoided like ebola! The 80s just reflected the WORST conservative ideas and this showed up in music too. When everyone was "dancing" to crappy YMCA, I was into Paisley Underground and, yes, dancing to Rain Parade, etc.
Regarding commercial music, I can collect and enjoy good music even if it sells a lot, but not wimpy music if it sells a lot.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online