The Worst Musical Decade?

The Worst Musically Talented Decade. Choose one.

• The 1950's

Votes: 20 12.6%
  • The 1960's

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • The 1970's

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • The 1980's

Votes: 32 20.1%
  • The 1990's

Votes: 18 11.3%
  • The 2000's

Votes: 82 51.6%

• Total voters

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is more to 2000s than just rap. That is only one portion of music in that decade. Good music comes from each decade but it takes actual effort to find it.

Natty Boh

I'm The Whistler
Reaction score
I was born in 1967 so the 50's,60's, and even some of the 70's I really didn't pay much attention to music in the moment so I relied on listening to that stuff later on when I was a teen. I especially loved the 70's rock groups like Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin, The Who, and Aerosmith. In the 80's which was the peak of my teen years I spent those later years partying to some Alternative stuff like Men With Hats, Depeche Mode, The Smiths, R.E.M., and The Police. I like that as well. In the 90's I turned to grunge for a little while with Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Blind Melon,Stone Temple Pilots, and Mudhoney. I liked that as well. Now in this decade some bands have been good like The Foo Fighters, Green Day, Thirty Seconds To Mars, and Coldplay, but those bands are out weighed by the shit that is out there in this decade.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I was born in 1967 so the 50's,60's, and even some of the 70's I really didn't pay much attention to music in the moment so I relied on listening to that stuff later on when I was a teen. I especially loved the 70's rock groups like Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin, The Who, and Aerosmith. In the 80's which was the peak of my teen years I spent those later years partying to some Alternative stuff like Men With Hats, Depeche Mode, The Smiths, R.E.M., and The Police. I like that as well. In the 90's I turned to grunge for a little while with Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Blind Melon,Stone Temple Pilots, and Mudhoney. I liked that as well. Now in this decade some bands have been good like The Foo Fighters, Green Day, Thirty Seconds To Mars, and Coldplay, but those bands are out weighed by the shit that is out there in this decade.

Good call on Thirty Seconds to Mars Natty! :grinthumb

Britters

Feed Your Head
Reaction score
I can't really choose any of the decades listed above. Sure there was music produce from each decade that I thought sucked, but overall I enjoyed music from each of these decades as well. From the 50's there was the stuff from Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra that I really didn't get into, but there was also Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, and of course Elvis. Then the 60's had Martha and The Vandellas, The Supremes, and The Four Seasons who I didn't get into, but they had a mass of bands I loved like The Jefferson Airplane, The Byrds, The Rolling Stones, and The Beatles just to name a few. The 70's had Disco which I don't like at all, but they also produced some great bands like Aerosmith, The Eagles, and AC/DC. The 80's was weird listening and learning that music. I really never got into the who Hair Band stuff, but did like bands that started out like R.E.M., Depeche Mode, B-52's and The Smiths. The 90's started crap of Boy Bands like Backstreet Boys and NSYNC, but Grunge was upon us and that brought us the great Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, and Soundgarden. Now the 2000's have hit us and Rap/Hip Hop is in full force and I hate that shit. I do like Arctic Monkeys, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and The Killers.

RhyeInTheJar

Reaction score
The 50s for me. I've heard quite a few compilations of 50s music and 98% is totally forgettable. Yes, it gave birth to "rock & roll", but even the cream of the rock & rollers had albums mostly full of filler. Nobody apart from the blues guys was actually all that good back then. And the charts were as full of light fluff as any decade.

Aero

Reaction score
The 50s for me. I've heard quite a few compilations of 50s music and 98% is totally forgettable. Yes, it gave birth to "rock & roll", but even the cream of the rock & rollers had albums mostly full of filler. Nobody apart from the blues guys was actually all that good back then. And the charts were as full of light fluff as any decade.

I'd rather have the light fluff from the 50s than the pop crap of today that has no redeeming musical value at all.

Beady Eye

Reaction score
Every decade might have some good music, but that wasn't the question. Which one is the worst or the least good decade?

The 50s aren't exactly full of all-time great bands. There's some rock'n'roll, but even Elvis and Cash weren't in their prime back then.
Being 37 years old, my musical taste began shaping up in the late 80s and stopped in the early 2000's. I quit accepting new music after The Strokes with few exceptions like Jake Bugg and Kendrick Lamar.

Given that many of you are even older than me, it's natural that there's absolutely no love for the more recent years. With all the new distribution channels like Youtube out there today, it's more than likely that today there's way more great music happening somewhere in the world than ever.
It's just that I'm too old to be open to those new kids on the block. Realistically though, the 2000's and now the 2010's offer more greatness than the 50's for example.
I can't even imagine how much awesome music is lost because we didn't have the internet back in the days. People who couldn't get a contract had no chance to be recognized.

Think of G'n'R: They were lucky to land this one death-slot on MTV, Sunday morning at like 4 a.m. and a load of people calling MTV demanding to get more of them. There was a ton of luck involved despite them rockin' L.A. for years. Today they would have just uploaded some songs on youtube and get recognized by the young people.
Many others back in the day weren't so lucky and hence we missed out on them.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online