The Worst Musical Decade?

The Worst Musically Talented Decade. Choose one.

• The 1950's

Votes: 20 12.6%
  • The 1960's

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • The 1970's

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • The 1980's

Votes: 32 20.1%
  • The 1990's

Votes: 18 11.3%
  • The 2000's

Votes: 82 51.6%

• Total voters

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Depends. If it's stuff like Wolfmother and The Black Keys which err to closely on the coattails of the past, I definitely think it'd be considered retro, and that stuff usually doesn't interest me. Alternatively you have something like Grunge, which combined influence from Sabbath, Purple, Zep, with many other things to make it new and original.

I've always had a skewed view of "rock" anyway, growing up with Neil and Dylan as my mentors. To me a solid drum beat, a clean guitar tone, a simple unambiguous verse/chorus, that'll always be what rock is about for me. Even if a lot of people would call it country, or pop, or folk, or who knows what.

I would have to agree with you, AAG.

I have racked by brain trying to think of something "NEW" to revolutionize the rock world. I dont see any room for anything innovative.

The most innovation I have seen recently would be adding operatic females/males, with ochestra-like metal. But the people who tag these genre's have called it "gothic". Not sure I agree with that description, but I do like the music.

I can remember when the Punk scene evolved. It was not well received at first, now it is classic. I guess we just have to give the music of the 2000's time to perculate, and see what critics have to say in a few more years.

Deicide

Reaction score
2000's definetely.

Justin Bieber
Nika minaj (whatever is spelled)
L Gaga..

Come on..

Aero

Reaction score

I have racked by brain trying to think of something "NEW" to revolutionize the rock world. I dont see any room for anything innovative.

The most innovation I have seen recently would be adding operatic females/males, with ochestra-like metal. But the people who tag these genre's have called it "gothic". Not sure I agree with that description, but I do like the music.

I can remember when the Punk scene evolved. It was not well received at first, now it is classic. I guess we just have to give the music of the 2000's time to perculate, and see what critics have to say in a few more years.

The punk movement may be a classic but the music for the most part was and is still bad. Hell, I even listened to some of it in the 80s and liked it as a kid, but let's face it, it's not good musicianship.

I think music today needs a movement similar to rock in the 60s that would be some kind of backlash to the wars and what's going on in the world. Sadly, that has not happened yet.

Then again, maybe that music is in fact around and those voices are being stifled and not heard on the radio.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I'm still baffled by how many people think "Never Mind the Bollocks..." is a great record.:wtf:

Absolute rubbish probably the single most overrated album in rock music history...at least to me.

Music seems to be in flux right now...by that I mean the entire industry is morphing into something different than ever before. Losing so many labels is not a good thing even though many were victims of their own flawed business practices and poor leadership.

A world dominated by i-tunes will be an unmitigated disaster, but it seems to be headed that way.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wouldn't say Nevermind The Bollocks was a great album, not a classic by any means but I certainly love listening to it. The musicianship of punk bands for the most part probably wasn't that good either but if it sounds good to my ears that is all I care about.

Born to Lose

Reaction score
I have re-realized how much I hate hair metal. So yeah, put me down for the 80's. :p

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have re-realized how much I hate hair metal. So yeah, put me down for the 80's. :p

O, man! I am crushed. Glam Rock/ Hair Metal was some of the best party music ever created. Not to mention the sappy ballads of the 80's were aimed at females during a time when females were coming out of their protective cocoons. Great tunes those are :grinthumb

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score

For what it's worth, we do have indie rock exploding and becoming mainstream much like grunge did in the 90s. It's not my version of rock n roll but it's rock music none the less. I think there's little doubt that bands like Animal Collective and Arcade Fire, etc., will be considered rock classics in the near future.

I'm satisfied with what I've found in the 21st Century: pop music that emulates the rock music of my youth far more than any of the rock music of the 21st Century. It's actually slightly closer to my classic rock favorites than even grunge was, so even if that's all the 00s/10s give us it's already one of my favorite eras by far.

As far as a rock revolution to bring back the fire... not sure if that'll ever happen in a way I can relate to it. But to be fair, I have no doubt that to indie rock fans, those bands represent the new Beatles, Pink Floyd, Neil Young, Bob Dylan. It's music that's unique, daring, and passionate, it deserves its place in the history.

And the pendulum is always singing to and fro, there's no telling what could happen... could be rock turns around and hits on something I dig again someday.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I know indie rock has exploded, but I dont like the name indie rock nor do I like the name alternative rock. I dont know what a good name for the current rock movement would be, though.

What I personally would like to see happen is maybe a blend of country/blues/metal. That would be an awesome mix, imho.

mrJim

Reaction score
without a doubt 2000's. to me the evidence to this fact is all the reunions of the old guard. sure the old musicians were great, but nothing can be muster up enough to get beyond the old guard.

its doubfull much of anything will start its life in the 2000's and last beyond the 2000's

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LongIshmael

Members online