The Worst Musical Decade?

The Worst Musically Talented Decade. Choose one.

• The 1950's

Votes: 20 12.6%
  • The 1960's

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • The 1970's

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • The 1980's

Votes: 32 20.1%
  • The 1990's

Votes: 18 11.3%
  • The 2000's

Votes: 82 51.6%

• Total voters

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
What I personally would like to see happen is maybe a blend of country/blues/metal. That would be an awesome mix, imho.

Something like Rebel Vs. Rebel?

or maybe Weedeater?

I like country blues & metal so I'd definitely be behind that.

I think my 'dream mix' would be for organic guitar-based pop artists (ala Taylor Swift) to get some of that adventurism and experimental streak from the mid-60s, where things were still poppy but psychedelia was on the rise as well. A Taylor Swift album with about 5 chorusey anthems, 3 ballads, a 7 minute guitar jam, and an experimental noise track at the end would be basically the perfect album to me. ;)

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
I was born in 63?
Haven't seen a bad non-progressive decade since.
maybe 1900's?

Wow an old thread. I'll stick with my initial comment. Maybe a breakdown by me of the decades (yes this is my opinion)

50's
At first thought I would choose the 50's as the worst decade until I look at all the great songs. I would consider the 50's might be the worst album era of the six decades (if you exclude jazz) but songs were too strong in the 50's. Rockabilly, Rock & Roll and Folk acts dominate my favorites of this era along with some amazing jazz artists. Damn I can imagine just listening to Allen Freed's Radio station for endless great songs.

60's- The early 60's are once again a strong jazz era (Miles, Coltrane, Monk, Montgomery, Evans,Getz, Roach, Peterson, Ella) for me along with so many new genres.
Also the early 60's dominated by folk and folk rock, Rhythm & Blues, Blues, Rock & Roll, Soul, bluegrass, heck even some great country and of course enter Dylan

By the mid 60's - Enter the Beatles, Surf rock, Garage Rock, Folk Rock, Electric Folk Rock, Electric Blues Rock, Singer/Songwriter, French Pop, Girl Groups, Experimental Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Funk

By the late 60's - Art Rock, Proto-Prog Rock, Proto Punk Rock, Pop Rock, Acid Rock, Singer/Songwriter, Jazz Fusion, album orientated rock, heavy blues rock, avant-garde rock, electronic rock, electronic, Canterbury scene and so much more.

The 70's
Funny while I find the early to mid 70's one of the strongest points in rock. Very easy to state 50 great albums from each year from 70-75.

Then the 70's take the first turn for me. Up to 75 I could say that almost everything form 57-75 is all at least good music. Starting in 75 music started to turn ugly for me. For the first time there was music I didn't like and not only didn't like but started to begin the hate. My music was split up as blues rock had turned to hard rock that was too hard for me, pop rock became to cheesy and arena orientated, funk and R & B turned to disco, garage rock turned to no talented punk rock. Luckly at the same time the New Wave (the better part of punk, Rock Fusion, prog rock, electronic/New Age/Space rock along with some staple rock bands kept turning out great music.

The 80's
As I ran from the metal, hair bands and disco I survived the 80's on old rock acts the new wave acts and proto punk were turning out some interesting stuff along with some new psychedelic and NEO-prog rock. Then came the college oriented alternative rock, industrial and goth rock era. Ambient rock too. Also a big fan of the alternative dance scene. By the late 80's early britpop and so many great alternative bands make up my favorite music of the 80's. Funny I believe most people here were listening to heavy metal and hair metal I didn't even know that stuff existed. I didn't listen to pop radio and stopped reading rolling stone instead I was listening to alternative radio and heading to clubs playing that type of music. I love that stuff even today.

The 90's
Have to admit I didn't catch onto alot of stuff I love today from the early 90's until I found out about it later in the 90's and thruout the 00's (shoegaze, noise pop, Dream Pop, space rock, modern art rock). At the time it was the new jam band scene (blues Traveler, Dave Matthews) along with britpop (Oasis, Blur, stone roses, Pulp), The new girl singer/Songwriter movement and Seattle Grunge. By the time I went to Woodstock 94 I had also picked up a few more interesting genre's and had even enjoyed Aerosmith and Metallica stuff I didn't care for. The late 90's enter Radiohead which brew my mind. Coming up with 25-30 great albums every year of the 90's easy.

The 00's
Eyes wide Open. For Xmas 99 I heard Govt Mule and by January I was hooked on Govt Mule. The next month I went to see a disaster show for Fiona Apple as she stopped mid show. That nite I went home opened my computer and for the first time found a website for Fiona Apple and stayed up all night going back and forth with a few people about the show. That led to a meet up with a new crowd in NYC and a quick introduction to the new NYC music scene. Within a few months I had opened up to all sorts of new and old(80's, 90's) music I never knew or wasn't interested in. The 00's for me was an endlist list of indie and other genres of music. Seeing local bands, talking to local bands, discussing music with local bands. I quickly realized what the future of rock was. No longer was it just a rehash of old music but a mix of different styles. Mixing punk and prog was something I never imagined but as the 00's went on I saw it all coming together. The new bands would use any type of instrument to make a new mix. Yeah some here could call it weak or not mind blowing but I saw the pieces of the puzzle and a hope for a new blend. Also the 00's started me on an introduction to modern prog and understanding that I had missed so much prog from the 70, 80's and 90's. I saw over 700 concerts in the 00's there is no way the 00's sucked.

In summary
50's the roots of rock and awesome jazz
60- introduction to rock in so many new forms
70- classic rock albums and introduction to electronic along with the begining of my hate rock
80- alt rock and goth, Neo Prog,
90's -britpop, grunge, women in rock
00's-indie rock, NYC scene rock, electronic dance
10's -keep blending genres!!

no bad era and I'm sure I left out plenty. Let alone I could rag on 1/2 the music discussed here by plenty of people who have voted that both the 80's and 00's sucked for music. And the people saying they loved the 80's but would disagree with me on what was good 80's music.

Last edited:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would like to see Bluegrass and Metal be fused more. That Sonata Arctica song Cinderblox showed a fantastic example of metal and bluegrass fusion.

Born to Lose

Reaction score
O, man! I am crushed. Glam Rock/ Hair Metal was some of the best party music ever created. Not to mention the sappy ballads of the 80's were aimed at females during a time when females were coming out of their protective cocoons. Great tunes those are :grinthumb

Hahaha, what can I say... I'm a self-loathing pessimistic outcast kid from Brooklyn, surrounded by the down-on-their-luck, the broken hearted, the hustlers and the drug dealers... I could never relate to songs about the good life in the fast lane.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Wouldn't say Nevermind The Bollocks was a great album, not a classic by any means but I certainly love listening to it. The musicianship of punk bands for the most part probably wasn't that good either but if it sounds good to my ears that is all I care about.

If I want a good punk album I'll take the Clash, TRB, Buzzcocks over the Sex Pistols. The main reason that record was so revolutionary was the attack on the class system in England and the monarchy. Sid Vicious couldn't even play his instrument. "Hey Sid don't worry, get on stage move about spitting and cursing at the crowd and just thrash at your bass guitar, nobody will care."

It did nothing for me when it came out and even less now. So many other really good bands put out better punk albums it just irks me no end that "...Bollocks" gets so much attention.

End rant.:D

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Something like Rebel Vs. Rebel?

I like country blues & metal so I'd definitely be behind that.

I have that Rebel vs. Rebel album. :grinthumb

I would like to see Bluegrass and Metal be fused more. That Sonata Arctica song Cinderblox showed a fantastic example of metal and bluegrass fusion.

Yes!!!

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If I want a good punk album I'll take the Clash, TRB, Buzzcocks over the Sex Pistols. The main reason that record was so revolutionary was the attack on the class system in England and the monarchy. Sid Vicious couldn't even play his instrument. "Hey Sid don't worry, get on stage move about spitting and cursing at the crowd and just thrash at your bass guitar, nobody will care."

It did nothing for me when it came out and even less now. So many other really good bands put out better punk albums it just irks me no end that "...Bollocks" gets so much attention.

End rant.:D

I do respect your opinion on that though, I honestly would probably take Ramones, Clash, anything with Jello Biafra over the Pistols but I still for some reason liked the Pistols album. :heheh:

Born to Lose

Reaction score
I dont really consider hair metal to be metal. Or landmark, for that matter. o_O

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Staff online

Members online