The Who (Official Thread)

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Re: The New Official Who Thread

Lord Grendel said:
I do like some of the early songs of the Who Fox, but I also think the albums from Tommy to Who Are You, are the best the band ever released.

Tommy...Quadrophenia...Who's Next > than any single early Who album that preceded them according the LG archives anyway.

I always hesitate to lump those albums together though because I really like "Tommy" and "Who's Next" but I found "Quadrophenia" and "Who Are You?" to be big let downs.

:(

CREAM'd

Reaction score

Tommy is one of my favourite albums(i'd put it in my top 10),Live at Leeds is a great live album,the Who's BBC Sessions is also great,love listening to the introductions between songs.

Buff

~going mobile~
Reaction score

I think the older members may remember I was the resident Who stronghold here for a longtime, I love it all, from Happy Jack to Magic Bus to My Generation to Tommy to Quadrophrenia (you know you're a true Who fan if you have this album, understand it and even like it) to Who's Next to Who By Numbers to Emminence Front to Athena. Give Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy a spin sometime, it might just grow on you.

I posted some pictures somewhere when I got to meet Roger Daltry and John Entwistle backstage and got their signatures on one of my copies of Tommy. I've worn out several vinyls, one 8 track (now I'm dating myself), several cassettes and now on my 3rd disc. I won the passes by reciting all the words to Tommy, in order, to a local DJ here in Denver, and he made me do it all from Captain Walker to See Me, Feel Me. I only stumbled a little on Sally Simpson.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Had some good luck recently and picked up a couple of "Great" Who albums in the best format you can get.(The vinyl albums were top notch and the CD's are as well)

the-who-tommy-1-album-art-13421.jpeg

TheWho1973_1.jpg

For those of you that claim no CD can sound as "Warm" as a vinyl record in mint condition you should listen to the MFSL Gold series CD's, they are out of print but the sound difference between them and a regular CD is amazing.

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score

Despite being a big fan of the Who for a while, I finally bought my first Who album that wasn't on vinyl recently.

Only a best of, but now I can put them on my iPod and such.

Particularly loving their live version of Summertime Blues at the moment!

Harkat

Reaction score

I have no The Who
They are pretty dang good, I just need to listen to them more

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

You should start with this album Harkat, it is a definite classic.

the%20who-whos-next-2009-lg.jpg

I agree. That to me is the definitive album from The Who. Every song on it is an absolute gem by themselves or with the rest of the album wrapped around them, something I cannot say for "Tommy" or "Quadrophenia".

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^Who's Next is a landmark record no doubt but both Tommy and Quadrophenia have grown on me over the years. I think those three albums and possibly Live at Leeds would be the top four of their discography.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Well I wasn't saying that "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia" weren't key albums in the Who's catalog or anything. Just that since they're rock operas a bunch of the songs don't stand on their own outside of the context of the rest of the album as effectively as those on "Who's Next" do.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepowerdry1

Members online