The White Stripes

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
The White Stripes

the-white-stripes.jpg

They are quite possibly the most critically acclaimed rock group of the decade, who nearly single handed resurrected the bluesy, garage based, three chord riff rock from years past and did so with outstanding results. Always critically adored ever since their debut release in the very very late 90's, but it was with the release of their 3rd album, "White Blood Cells", the duo from Detroit were greeted with their first taste of commercial success that was lead by their breakthrough single "Fell In Love With A Girl" which is often remember for it's Lego-y music video.
It was the release of the first single and opening track to their next album, "Elephant" that would give Jack and Meg the group's signature song. "Seven Nation Army" who's well known guitar riff (which mimicked a bass guitar) proved to be a huge hook that propelled the song to chart heights the Stripes had not yet known, and even lead them to two Grammys, "Best Alternative Music Album" and "Best Rock Song" for the song itself.
Their following album "Get Behind Me Satan" would show the most diverse side of Jack White's songwriting. Stepping back from the loud power chords that the band had become known for the musical approach of "Get Behind Me Satan" focused heavily on percussion, piano, acoustic guitars, and other instruments that were not most commonly associated with The Stripes, but that they had always used. Some fans were turned off by much of the album, but critics agreed that it showed that The White Stripes were much more than a one trick pony and this album once again landed The White Stripes a Grammy.
It was around this time that Jack White launched his side project The Raconteurs, who also found success in the same artistic vein that The White Stripes had. Jack, being the busy bee that he is, never even went on hiatus with The Stripes though and the group released their next album "Icky Thumb" a year after The Raconteurs released their debut album, complete with a full tour to support it. "Icky Thumb" would be the highest charting album of the Stripes' career and would land them their third Grammy for "Best Alternative Music Album", which at the time made them to first artist to win the award three time before Radiohead tied them the following year.
The White Stripes then went on hiatus following anxiety problems of Meg's. Jack would then choose to focus on The Raconteurs and later form The Dead Weather. As of summer this year Jack and Meg are reportable getting back into the studio and recording for their next album, though as with all releases by Jack everything is kept pretty secretive. Considering the unusually fast time it's taken them to finish past albums (usually around a month) this album is proving to be very enigmatic.

Aside from their music their are many other peculiar eccentricities with the band, mostly from Jack. Early in their career Jack and Meg claimed to be brother and sister but later papers were dug up that showed that they were actually a formerly married couple (Jack having taken and kept Meg's last name). Despite this both of them would continue to deny such claims, though recently have just avoided them all together. Other eccentricities of Jack's include his obsession with the number 3 and how he makes everyone that works for them wear only red, black, and white when on the clock because he feels they are the most powerful color combination conceivable.

Reaction score
I hate the White Stripes very much, maybe only because my brother forced me to sit through listening to the same damn songs over and over and over....... but I hate them, I like most stuff from The Racentours though, I haven't found much by them, but its pretty good, very "generic" sounding and predictable but its alright... its better than just listenable

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Well it's not really The White Stripes' fault that you hate them. Over exposure can cause bad feelings towards good bands....

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I have a love/hate relationship with these guys! I think they are overrated but they are one of the overrated groups that I don't get annoyed every time their music comes on. I really like the Jolene cover! My favorite songs by them are

Dead Leaves and The Dirty Ground

My favorite song by them is a very simple track off of White Blood Cells!

We're Going To Be Friends

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Well I don't blame the group for being overrated. I think it's the same thing with Nickleback and The Foo Fighters really. It's that there is such a void of good, successful rock groups these days (even if the Foos are actually much older than they seem) that the few that their are get blown up to Godzilla like proportions.

"Dead Leaves and The Dirty Ground" is a favorite of mine too. It's one of the first songs I learned to play on guitar and it's still a favorite of mine. :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Well I don't blame the group for being overrated. I think it's the same thing with Nickleback and The Foo Fighters really. It's that there is such a void of good, successful rock groups these days (even if the Foos are actually much older than they seem) that the few that their are get blown up to Godzilla like proportions.

"Dead Leaves and The Dirty Ground" is a favorite of mine too. It's one of the first songs I learned to play on guitar and it's still a favorite of mine. :grinthumb

I'm one of those people who think people are full of shit when they say there isn't more good stuff out there. I agree more thast there is a void of successful rock groups more than a void of good rock groups now. Bands are overrated because people are too lazy to find something that hasn't caught on with critics and music snobs first. Therefore when one band catches on fire these people over blow everything they do and complain about the current state of music which they've only dipped a toe into anyways. But you are right! It isn't The White Stripes, Nickelbacks or The Foo Fighters fault for this!

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Oh, believe me Sooty I know that there is still quite a few rock acts out there still, you just have to sift through lots of crap to find it at times. Most people are simply too lazy to do that though which is why they'll settle for hyping bands like Nickelback, The Foos, and anything Jack White does because they don't have to go too far to find it or put in a whole lot of extra effort.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
I've written many very similar posts to the above in my time CH XD

And I expressed my opinions of the band in the other thread, except now I have a video of The Nurse:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
...They are okay I'm not their biggest fan admittedly. I do think they are slightly Overpraised, but that is as much due to the dearth of fresh creative rock bands the last few years as any fault of theirs.

Personally I would like to hear what Jack could do with Neal Peart or some other more skilled drummer.;)

Oh and Very Nice thread as usual Cosmic.:tup:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.