The Wall vs. Tommy

• The Wall - Pink Floyd

Votes: 40 65.6%
  • Tommy - The Who

Votes: 21 34.4%

• Total voters

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Both Townsend and Waters managed to strongly draw on listeners' imaginations with their proposed ideas to engage their audiences in ethereal musical conceptions,but in my mind between the two works offered for controversy here,only "Tommy" makes the finish line without losing power on any major levels."The Wall" for me gets a bit tiresome at times,getting somehow lost in some of its preachy sentiments while "Tommy" seems to me a bit more "inspirational"....

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
The Wall is Roger Waters whinging about how he suffered at school and how his suffering was greater than anyone else's. I bought into it at the time, but really it's a double album with only two good tracks, Comfortably Numb and Young Lust. The live album is an improvement, because of the additional linking passages from Richard Wright, whom they had sacked - despite being the best musician in the band.

Tommy on the other hand is The Who powering their way through one great track after another: Amazing Journey, Sparks, The Acid Queen, Pinball Wizard, Tommy Can You Hear Me?, I'm Free, We're Not Gonna Take It and much more. Townshend's story is imaginative, but coherent, and told with conviction by the whole band.

Khor1255

Reaction score
Both Townsend and Waters managed to strongly draw on listeners' imaginations with their proposed ideas to engage their audiences in ethereal musical conceptions,but in my mind between the two works offered for controversy here,only "Tommy" makes the finish line without losing power on any major levels."The Wall" for me gets a bit tiresome at times,getting somehow lost in some of its preachy sentiments while "Tommy" seems to me a bit more "inspirational"....
Yeah, this is right. It does retain momentum whereas The Wall starts running out of gas almost at the start of the second disc.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, this is right. It does retain momentum whereas The Wall starts running out of gas almost at the start of the second disc.

Exactly what I thought regarding The Wall. First disc was pretty good but the other one while ok was a bit lacklustre at the same time.

Kickstart

Reaction score

Personally i feel like i know that The Wall is an excellent album.
When I "really" listen to single songs off it, as opposed to just have the music playing while being busy with something else, I realize that those are some brilliant, emotional songs,
BUT i have to agree that listening to the whole album is very tiring for some reason i can't quite explain
really not trying to bash on Waters but while i highly appreciate most songs off it, The Wall as a whole is not quite my case (hope that made any sense),

Tommy on the other side is probably my favourite The Who album with Go To The Mirror, my favourite Who-song, on it so pretty easy call there

Last edited:

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Definitely The Wall. I do love Tommy, but The Wall is just immense. And I prefer Tommy live anyway.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online