The Velvet Underground (Official Thread)

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score
Re: The Velvet Underground?

so what are everyone's favorite album by these guys and why? lets get some discussion going on!

Džedaj

Groovy as hell.
Reaction score

Mine favorite is definately Velvet Underground & Nico, it's one of few rare albums that are perfect from start till finish. Every song in that album is amazing and good, there's no boring or surplus songs. Favorite song on that album is "Heroin", which I think it's their best work among with Sister Ray, Rock And Roll, Run Run Run and I'm Waiting for The Man. Lou Reed create some kind of arrogant nihilistic image, which is good and bad at same time. White Light/White Head is also amazing and great sequel to VU&N, showing their fuzzy noise rock side. I love how they went completely experimental on that one, creating noise humming or screaming with their voice on Lady Godiva and other songs. Third album, The Velvet Underground maintain some parts of first and second album, not leaning on any side. It has soft rock elements (Jesus, Candy Says) , aswell as classic rock (What Goes On, Beginning To See The Light) and experimental (Murder Mystery). It's great album but I prefer first two more. Last album, "Loaded" definatly would be more loaded if Lou Reed stayed till the end. Classics like "Sweet Jane", "Rock and Roll", "Oh Sweet Nuthin'" will be played forever. I like to think about that album as extended VU&N because it keeps familiar spirit. The albums with never-released songs (VU, Another View) are also fantastic, giving songs like "Stephanie Says", "Ride Into The Sun", "Can't Stand Anymore", "Hey Mr. Rain" final release and admiration after all.

Death on Credit

Reaction score

I love the Velvet Underground.

Conceptually, my favorite album is White Light/White Heat, particularly 'Sister Ray'. But I listen to their first record a lot more.

The 3rd and 4th would be amazing as Lou Reed solo releases, but I don't like them as much as Velvet Underground records. The VU needs John Cale.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Two of the most trippiest psychedelic classics ever !! :bow:. I was fortunate to have seen Nico do a solo set at a festival many years ago....

Last edited by a moderator:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online

No members online now.