The Rolling Stones (Official Thread)

E-Z

Reaction score
Thoroughly agree E-Z.... I feel if royalties and song contribution were acknowledged... maybe Taylor and Wyman would still be members, On the whole Led Zep spread the cash and credit equally... thus creating little room for the old E G O... to flourish.
They were possibly the worse major rock band with regards to writing credits Jagger-Richards. The only band members who get money are the guy who wrote the song and the guy who wrote the melody and that's it. The drums were part of the arrangement so got sweet F.A!.Some bands shared the writing credits with the whole band members so everyone got some money. With regards to Mick Taylor in particular he contributed to a number of songs on Exile On Main Street and It's Only Rock & Roll especially that song on It's Only Rock & Roll where he played a long guitar solo and got nothing.

Last edited:

Mulberry

Dancing With Mr D!
Reaction score
I read the Jones estate wasn't very much either. Also read in the Jones biog that the flowers comp. The cover. Jagger and Richards over saw that and made sure Jones got no leaves meaning a cruel dig at the lack of contribution and if you notice Bill has tiny leaves.

64923faa-4a62-11e4-9ac7-c8a136d73c7f.jpg

Last edited:

Mulberry

Dancing With Mr D!
Reaction score
I read a story 15-20 years ago that Bill told about the recording of his first solo album called Monkey Grip in 1974 and something about both Jagger & Richards didn't rate it and let him know they didn't and Bill felt side lined over it and then went on to say that in The Who both Pete Townshend & Roger Daltrey had both booked studio time for John Entwistle as a birthday present and encouraged 'the Ox' to record his first solo album.
Didn't they also do that to Jone who at first had a go at song writing himself and they would ignore it? I'm also sure Alexis Korner warned Jones when he was forming the band to take either Jagger or Richards but not both or he would lose the band.

Mulberry

Dancing With Mr D!
Reaction score
Interesting funny thing I recently found out. I was born on what they call "The Sagittarius-Capricorn Cusp" (December 18 to 24.) and so is Keith Richards. :flirt lol

Mulberry

Dancing With Mr D!
Reaction score
Just read this older Keef interview:https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/keith-richards-being-keef-306495.html

"And Brian? Is it all just too long ago now?

"Brian could be the most frustratingly obnoxious, nasty person. Which he never was until the minute we had a hit record. It was a fame thing, maybe; something seemed to snap in him. It could be that he thought he was numero uno and Mick didn't like that. I wasn't thinking about hierarchy at the time - I was just trying to find [the chord of] E7.

"We were pretty mean to him. We started to pick on him just to let him know: either you're in or you're out. And then he got more and more stoned, and he'd check into a clinic in Chicago while we were touring the Mid-West. I'm standing on stage trying to cover two guitar parts - it doesn't endear you to the guy.

"Later, I made a real effort to hang with Brian. This would be '66-'67, when we finally got off the road for a year. Everybody's getting stoned out of their brains and there's acid flying about. We were having a good time, but unfortunately there was Anita [Pallenberg - Jones's girlfriend before Richards "rescued" her from him], and then we get into that. That was the final nail in the coffin."

And this one: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...es-mick-jagger-and-the-new-memoir-life-52581/

"
You and Mick started the Stones with Brian Jones, and in Life you are frank about Brian’s self-destructive flaws. You talk about his importance in the early days, but by the time of his death, any sentiment you had for him is gone.

I enjoyed his company, and I tried incredibly hard, in 1966, to pull him back into the group. He was flying off. But my attempts to bring Brian back into focus were a total failure. After that … [long pause] He did some despicable things. The man was failing. He had been a strong man, but he was wiping himself out. Brian demanded, you have to understand. And in a band like this, you also have to be supportive and giving. Having to deal with his jealousy, with Mick and me writing the songs, when you’re working 300-odd days a year — it becomes intolerable, and you can get really nasty about it. I tried to be fair to him. But to be honest, he was a bit of a bastard. And it doesn’t surprise me that he came to a sticky end."

E-Z

Reaction score
Didn't they also do that to Jone who at first had a go at song writing himself and they would ignore it? I'm also sure Alexis Korner warned Jones when he was forming the band to take either Jagger or Richards but not both or he would lose the band.
Yeah individually Mick & Keith were probably easier to handle when they were on their own but together no way what they said went. Mick wouldn't upset Charlie cos Charlie wouldn't take any crap off Mick or Keith for that mater so Charlie was left alone and as for Bill I get the feeling he was just ignored. Someone a bit more sensitive like Brian and possible Mick Taylor stood no chance and also with Mick Taylor he wasn't even a founder member so that would diminish his standing inside the band massively. Ian Stewart wasn't seen by the public so he had no clout with Mick & Keith although I think they both liked him. Ronnie Wood was still bing called 'the new boy' by Mick & Keith 40+ years after joining the band so that shows you what they think of Ron although Ronnie is probably what you would call 'the musician' in the band and is very talented.

Mulberry

Dancing With Mr D!
Reaction score
Yeah individually Mick & Keith were probably easier to handle when they were on their own but together no way what they said went. Mick wouldn't upset Charlie cos Charlie wouldn't take any crap off Mick or Keith for that mater so Charlie was left alone and as for Bill I get the feeling he was just ignored. Someone a bit more sensitive like Brian and possible Mick Taylor stood no chance and also with Mick Taylor he wasn't even a founder member so that would diminish his standing inside the band massively. Ian Stewart wasn't seen by the public so he had no clout with Mick & Keith although I think they both liked him. Ronnie Wood was still bing called 'the new boy' by Mick & Keith 40+ years after joining the band so that shows you what they think of Ron although Ronnie is probably what you would call 'the musician' in the band and is very talented.
Yes I think it's just that. They all complained when Taylor left though didn't they. Knowing it was a great creative period for them.

And Ronnie is a good painter too isn't he :D

Didn't they almost bully Bill out at one point early on?

E-Z

Reaction score
Yes I think it's just that. They all complained when Taylor left though didn't they. Knowing it was a great creative period for them.

And Ronnie is a good painter too isn't he :D

Didn't they almost bully Bill out at one point early on?
Regarding Mick Taylor Mick Jagger regarded him as 'pretty looking' when he joined the Stones a typical Jagger remark but his decision to quit came 'out of the blue' to everyone possibly over not being recognised for his musical contributions?.

Regarding Bill because Bill was a bit older than both Mick & Keith he was largely ignored until he wanted to quit the band back in 1993 when 'the sh*t hit the fan' and Keith told him 'Nobody quits this band unless they're in a wooden box' although it didn't stop Bill walking out.

Regarding Ronnie he knows Mick & Keith's ways and how to deal with them both besides Ronnie has been in bands and the music business for 60 years!!.

E-Z

Reaction score
Yesterday I bought a Japanese cardboard sleeve version of Sticky Fingers the one with the tin of trickle and several human fingers protruding out of the trickle in the tin also I bought Bill Wyman's x4 cd box set featuring Monkey Grip, Stone Alone, Bill Wyman & Stuff plus a bonus dvd.

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviraPeth

Staff online

Members online