The Rolling Stones (Official Thread)

E-Z

Reaction score
Goats Head Soup is a bit diverse with it's track selection but overall it's a ok listen.

Johnny Winter covered Silver Train for himself and it appeared on his Still Alive And Well album in 1973 and his version is a bit heavier and more fluid with a big helping of Johnny's slide guitar running all the way through it. What I recently read was Keith heard Johnny's version of Silver Train and decided to re-visit it after it was originally recorded by the Stones in October 1970 and cropped up on a bootleg recording which Johnny apparently heard and like so recorded his own version.

Johnny Winter also recorded a couple of other Stones numbers one was a studio version of Stray Cat Blues that appears on Johnny's Saints And Sinners album in 1974 and again it sounds slightly heavier and more fluid plus a live version of Jumpin' Jack Flash which he use to perform in concert through the 1970s and also the Stones cover of It's All Over Now the Bobby Womack song.

Last edited:

Mulberry

Dancing With Mr D!
Reaction score
Goats Head Soup is a bit diverse with it's track selection but overall it's a ok listen.

Johnny Winter covered Silver Train for himself and it appeared on his Still Alive And Well album in 1973 and his version is a bit heavier and more fluid with a big helping of Johnny's slide guitar running all the way through it. What I recently read was Keith heard Johnny's version of Silver Train and decided to re-visit it after it was originally recorded by the Stones in October 1970 and cropped up on a bootleg recording which Johnny apparently heard and like so recorded his own version.

Johnny Winter also recorded a couple of other Stones numbers one was a studio version of Stray Cat Blues that appears on Johnny's Saints And Sinners album in 1974 and again it sounds slightly heavier and more fluid plus a live version of Jumpin' Jack Flash which he use to perform in concert through the 1970s and also the Stones cover of It's All Over Now the Bobby Womack song.
Was there an actual issue of Goats Head Soup with the Goat head cover that was banned on the inlay on vinyl? I swear when I was young my friends parents had it with that image on it somewhere.

Thanks for the info E-Z. You and Nai Noswad are a pool of info on the Stones. Love it.

E-Z

Reaction score
Was there an actual issue of Goats Head Soup with the Goat head cover that was banned on the inlay on vinyl? I swear when I was young my friends parents had it with that image on it somewhere.

Thanks for the info E-Z. You and Nai Noswad are a pool of info on the Stones. Love it.
Are you referring to the picture of a goats head in a cooking saucepan of simmering hot water?.

The Rolling Stones WERE the greatest rock & roll band of all time.

E-Z

Reaction score
There could well have been somewhere in the world Nai would know better than me. That picture of the goats head is featured inside the inlay of the current re-issue cd it's also featured inside the earlier releases of Goats Head Soup and in fact I think it's a better picture than what finally appeared on the Goats Head Soup vinyl album cover and subsequent cd re-issues.

I notice you give your location as Nellcote that says a lot to me and no doubt Nai as well.

E-Z

Reaction score
I watched that dvd of the making of Exile On Main Street and I love the Bill Wyman sequence especially when Bill bemoans the fact that when he and the rest of the Stones were living in France Bill had to import Birds custard and PG tips tea from England that made me smile and also the part where Bill said he had to drive several hours to get to Nellcote from where he was staying only to find that Keith was still in bed?. Bill went on "It was alright for Keith laying in bed he lived at Nellcote me and Charlie didn't."

Mulberry

Dancing With Mr D!
Reaction score
There could well have been somewhere in the world Nai would know better than me. That picture of the goats head is featured inside the inlay of the current re-issue cd it's also featured inside the earlier releases of Goats Head Soup and in fact I think it's a better picture than what finally appeared on the Goats Head Soup vinyl album cover and subsequent cd re-issues.

I notice you give your location as Nellcote that says a lot to me and no doubt Nai as well.
I got the new reissue one with it on vinyl recently and it's on the cover. The man in the shop said it was never issued commercially like that. So I asked him the same thing and he didn't know if it was on an inlay on an old record. But I remember it as a kid as it freaked me out. So I wounder what copy it was my friends parents had.

Yep lol. Keef's old villa for Exile.

Mulberry

Dancing With Mr D!
Reaction score
I watched that dvd of the making of Exile On Main Street and I love the Bill Wyman sequence especially when Bill bemoans the fact that when he and the rest of the Stones were living in France Bill had to import Birds custard and PG tips tea from England that made me smile and also the part where Bill said he had to drive several hours to get to Nellcote from where he was staying only to find that Keith was still in bed?. Bill went on "It was alright for Keith laying in bed he lived at Nellcote me and Charlie didn't."
lol yes I saw that too. Him and Charlie didn't like it did they. Had to get in/order what you put. Yes it sad something like it was always 12 hour sessions no matter when they started.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online

No members online now.