The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame OF the People

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
This whole influence thing gets played up way out of control also. It never ends...it's like a hundred less popular bands have a lifetime of influence over the hundred popular ones. :heheh:

I mean c'mon...sometimes the real HOF gets it right, sometimes they don't...but at the end of the day...it's only my opinion...as it's only theirs.

I'm not saying that a few bands shouldn't be in the real HOF, that are voted in based on influence and genre impact.

But there's alot of bands that have lasted 20 + years in the business without "mega" promotion...without steady airplay also...and a few are on this OP's list.

:grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Oh man....my time to step out :heheh:

But that's a good point man...I love Dylan and his writing...but...well let me say this instead.

I was listening to my new John Lennon remaster of Sometime In New York City...and even the LINER NOTES speak of the Elephants Memory Band as being pretty poor musicians...they really kinda were lookin' back.

I've read this online from regular folk as well.

Do I still like the record?? YOU BET! :grinthumb

Are Elephants Memory the type of band the HOF was known to look for? You Bet. :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
To elaborate....I like my fair share of wierd stuff..I really do...just check out my collection sometime. :heheh:

But the type of people that run the real Hall strike me as those that wish to offer in the not so good singer, the oddball, the wierdo artist...the one that can confuse the listener.

If it's overly commercial and accesible to the listener there was less of a chance getting in with this crowd. (although it seems like they're letting in a few mainstreamers now....)

As a lyricist...I feel I could be one step closer if I went a different route.

Willow trees drip like melting fire into a cookie tin
Mr. Frog and Whipple tells my doctor I am getting thin
Burning sorcery on hilltops, bloody pools of suicide
Meclizine addiction, hit the ground at which the dolphin cried
Stick Your Tounge out baby!!
I'm gonna..LIGHT IN ON FIRE!!

Did that in about 2 minutes...real easy...and yes I can make it mean something relevent too and explain it. You know...so I can be of major influence.

:cheers2 Just being light hearted too folks so don't read too much into this. :heheh:

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Idk, I think if they were looking for weird stuff, prog rock wouldn't be virtually banned from the hall. I think they just have their own little way of looking at things. Doesn't seem like they're looking for the outlier artists so much as the popular artists that make popular music "important." But I haven't taken notes on who is or isn't in, or anything. It'll be interesting to see in the coming years whether they'll jump at nominating My Bloody Valentine or Oasis first.

In any case, whether it's the fools at the hall or whoever the people happen to be who voted Bad Company over Dylan, it's still just people. Neither groups speak for me. *shrug*

As far as your quirky lyrics go... let's be honest. Comparing any random weird shit to what Dylan writes is the same as comparing any two-bit bar band in history to Kiss. There's more to it than just throwing anything out there no matter what genre you're playing.

Death on Credit

Reaction score
To elaborate....I like my fair share of wierd stuff..I really do...just check out my collection sometime. :heheh:

But the type of people that run the real Hall strike me as those that wish to offer in the not so good singer, the oddball, the wierdo artist...the one that can confuse the listener.

If it's overly commercial and accesible to the listener there was less of a chance getting in with this crowd. (although it seems like they're letting in a few mainstreamers now....)

As a lyricist...I feel I could be one step closer if I went a different route.

Willow trees drip like melting fire into a cookie tin
Mr. Frog and Whipple tells my doctor I am getting thin
Burning sorcery on hilltops, bloody pools of suicide
Meclizine addiction, hit the ground at which the dolphin cried
Stick Your Tounge out baby!!
I'm gonna..LIGHT IN ON FIRE!!

Did that in about 2 minutes...real easy...and yes I can make it mean something relevent too and explain it. You know...so I can be of major influence.

:cheers2 Just being light hearted too folks so don't read too much into this. :heheh:

That's funny, I'm in the group that thinks they let in too much commercial garbage over eccentric weirdos.

Far from being being able please everyone, I guess that sometimes you just can't please anyone.

By the way, in the name of duality, here's my pop song:
Oh yeah, baby, yeah yeah
You know, I love you darling
Please let me hold you tight
Sit down by the fireplace, it'll be be alright
I'm gonna love you all night

:D

(Yours is better)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
:heheh: :grinthumb

I think we've proved both ends can be pretty easy if you're good....YOU'RE GOOD!!

:cheers2

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Craqdi

Members online