The Ramones (Official Thread)

rtbuck

Reaction score
Last week I had to order a replacement cd for a cd I had lost from the library. It turned out right after I ordered the CD I noticed the lost cd was on the shelf at the library(I returned 8 cd's one day & the supposed lost one never registered). Why am I telling this dumb boring story & what does it have to do with the Ramones? Well...when I ordered the cd from Amazon I didn't want to pay the shipping & I knew if I spent 25 bucks it would be free shipping so I also ordered the Ramones 'It's Alive!' which I have on vinyl someplace among my vinyl up in the attic but haven't thought much about this record since the early 80's.

Anyway...That had to be the fastest 53 minutes & 35 seconds I had ever heard. 28 songs in less than an hour!!! Sure, the Ramones have released other live albums over the years such as 'Loco Live' & 'We're Outta Here' which were decent albums but 'It's Alive' was taken from a great era (London New Year's Eve 1977) shortly after the release of Rocket to Russia when the Ramones were really beginning to gain momentum.This show really gives you the feel of being at a Ramones gig & if you really want to see what this gig's about the Ramones DVD 'It's Alive 1974- 1996' features 13 songs from this show. I really do recommend getting this CD if you are a fan of the Ramones.

Speaking pf the Ramones...I have been on a Ramones kick for the last few days now & a few songs I've been into besides the regular Ramones classics:

My Back Pages - from the Acid Eaters cd of covers. This Byrds Cover is sung by CJ Ramone & is actually my fav tune off of this album

Danny Says - from the 'End of the Century'. I just love this tune even though it's not your typical fast pace Ramones tune. The tune almost sounds like something Brian Wilson could have come up with & with Phil Spector producing it really is something special.

Chop Suey - bonus track from 'Pleasant Dreams'(also on the movie soundtrack of Get Crazy). I love this tune as it mixes the Ramones style with the New Wave style that was going on in the early 80's. The first time I heard this tune was in the 'Get Crazy' movie & if your a fan of rock & roll go out & find this movie even if it is on VHS (It never made it to DVD). The Ramones aren't in the movie but Lou Reed,Malcolm Mcdowell, John Densmore(the Doors), Lee Ving(Fear),Bobby Sherman, & Fabian are! If you like the sense of humor in R & R High School you'll love this

Everytime I Eat Vegtables it Makes Me Think of you - from Subterranean Jungle. It is a typical Ramones tune but with a title like this you can't go wrong

Little Bit o' Soul - also from Subterranean Jungle. This is Just a fun cover of the hit by Music Explosion

Take it as it Comes - from the 'Mondo Bizaro' album. This is a really great cover of the Doors tune. Joey sounds great & the keyboards added by Joe McGinty really adds to it

Street Fighting Man - bonus track on 'Too Tough to Die'. Walter Lure is said to been an honary member of the Ramones in the studio. Lure was a guitarist in Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers & supposedly played uncredited guitars on a few of there records. Lure supplies the vocals on this Stones cover

I Love You from 'Adios Amigos' - a cool cover of the Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers classic. The Ramones originally recorded this for the Johnny Thunders tribute album 'I Only Wrote This Song for You'

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I like "It's Alive!", Bucky. It's probably a top 10 live album for me and my favorite Ramones release. :good

CREAM'd

Reaction score
Do you have the official DVD Cosmic, ''It's Alive '74-'96''
I watch this part of it quite regularly

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I have it and "It's alive" is one of the best live albums you can buy, it does need remastering but I will make do with the CD and I have it on vinyl. Just watched a documentry on John Cooper Clarke and he said he saw the Ramones and they inspired him as they were the real deal not like a lot of the other so called punk bands.

He was not wrong IMO:)

CREAM'd

Reaction score
I have it and "It's alive" is one of the best live albums you can buy, it does need remastering but I will make do with the CD and I have it on vinyl. Just watched a documentry on John Cooper Clarke and he said he saw the Ramones and they inspired him as they were the real deal not like a lot of the other so called punk bands.

He was not wrong IMO:)

I will have to check out that documentry Sweaty. I haven't listened to ''It's Alive'' in a while, great album, full of energy. I did a DVD rip of the 1978-09-13 Germany part of the DVD and have it on my player. I did a Rip of ''Wart Hog'' from the same DVD and it's my alarm ringtone, no hope of sleeping through that one.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online