The Pretty Things (Official Thread)

tkitna

Reaction score
This is one of my favourite Pretty Things tracks, All Light Up.

'All Light Up' is 2007 actually off of Balboa Island. I like that song a lot too. 'The Beat Goes On' is porbably my favorite off of that one though. I'd post the video up, but all I can find are live versions and they dont do the album version justice.

Here's a few I like.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I've just checked my CD and it is dated April 2000. It says All Light Up is from an album called Latest Writs, Greatest Hits - The Best Of on Snapper.

This is the album cover and tracklist on Discogs:

http://www.discogs.com/Pretty-Things-Latest-Writs-The-Best-Of-Greatest-Hits/release/859544

This is a compilation, so All Light Up may originally have been released as a CD single, or even earlier as a download, if they were available in the late nineties.

tkitna

Reaction score
Thats interesting stuff Big Ears. Yeah, i'm not sure about that tune. I dont have that compilation record, but I knew the song was on my Balboa Island CD. Seems your correct though as it was written earlier.

tkitna

Reaction score
In the year 2000 the band is preparing for its first major European Tour for 21 years. They are working on a new album and will be releasing "All Light Up" throughout Europe later in the year, after a single CD best of entitled "Latest Writs - Greatest Hits".

PRETTY THINGS BIOGRAPHY

Solved that one. You were right.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I liked All Light Up to the extent that I tried to get the album, but all I could find was the compilation. If it was recorded as a single or download (which became available in about 1998), it seems it was a one-off apart from the compilations. In a way it's typical of Pretty Things, in that they never managed to exploit their own succusses. I don't think I need the Best Of as I have Parachute and Silk Torpedo. Is Balboa Island worth getting?

tkitna

Reaction score
Is Balboa Island worth getting?

Eh, its a pretty decent record, but not great. Its really a blues album with a few pop/rock tunes added in. I like 'Beat Goes On', 'Buried Alive'. 'Pretty Beat', 'All Light Up', 'Dearly Beloved', and even 'Blues For Robert Johnson'. The rest is just ok in my opinion. You'll find stuff to like on it, but its not going to blow you away.

Do you own 'SF Sorrow'? Just curious because I think its the greatest album ever written.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Eh, its a pretty decent record, but not great. Its really a blues album with a few pop/rock tunes added in. I like 'Beat Goes On', 'Buried Alive'. 'Pretty Beat', 'All Light Up', 'Dearly Beloved', and even 'Blues For Robert Johnson'. The rest is just ok in my opinion. You'll find stuff to like on it, but its not going to blow you away.

Do you own 'SF Sorrow'? Just curious because I think its the greatest album ever written.

Your comments on Balboa Island match what I've read in reviews, tkitna.

No, I haven't got SF Sorrow. I only own the 2003 reissue of Parachute, which is a great album, and Silk Torpedo, which is full of good ideas, but falls a bit flat in the production. I would like to get the reissue of SF Sorrow.

tkitna

Reaction score
Your comments on Balboa Island match what I've read in reviews, tkitna.

No, I haven't got SF Sorrow. I only own the 2003 reissue of Parachute, which is a great album, and Silk Torpedo, which is full of good ideas, but falls a bit flat in the production. I would like to get the reissue of SF Sorrow.

Yeah, if you grab up SF Sorrow, get the bonus tracks too. Defecting Grey, Mr. Evasion, Talkin About The Good Times, and Walkiing Through My Dreams are all awesome tunes and make a nice addition to the original album.

I plead for you to buy it as i'm curious as to what you would think about it.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
I think Sad Eye from the Savage Eye album is maybe one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard, TheSound 100.3 actually played it the other day, first time I'd heard it in a long time, Phil May's vocals, combined with the exquisite acoustic guitar part, and the glorious Crosby Stills and Nash - style vocal harmonies in the chorus, are all perfection.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online