The Pretty Things (Official Thread)

joe

Reaction score
the-pretty-things-phil-may-dick-taylor-garage-psychedelic-rock-music-photo-9a.jpg

Official Website

The Pretty Things (1965)
Get the Picture (1965)
Emotions (1967)
S.F. Sorrow (1968)
Parachute (1970)
Freeway Madness (1972)
Silk Torpedo (1974)
Savage Eye (1976)
Cross Talk (1980)
Rage Before Beauty (1999)
Balboa Island (2007)
Philippe DeBarge (2009)

Little Boy Blue and the Blue Boys were the predecessors of both The Rolling Stones and The Pretty Things which consisted of Dick Taylor, Kieth Richards and Mick Jagger who attended Sidcup Art College in London in 1962. Brian Jones recruited all three for his band and along with him and Ian Stewart called themselves the "Rollin' Stones".

Taylor briefly played bass for the band before being accepted at the London Central School of Art where he met Phil May and they formed The Pretty Things in 1963. Taylor switched over to guitar as Phil May was singing and playing harmonica and recruited Brian Pendleton on rhythm guitar, John Stax on bass, and Viv Prince on drums. A fellow student at the art college, Bryan Morrison took the reigns as thier manager and he himself developed a well known agency that represented Pink Floyd amongst others.

The band took thier name from Bo Diddley's 1955 song "Pretty Thing". The British press dubbed them the "uglier cousins of the Rolling Stones". One of the original British invasion bands, the Pretties played a nasty, raunchy R&B/garage rock that was more raw than the Stones of that period.

The band released a handful of singles in '64-'65 which included "Rosalyn"(#41), "Don't Bring Me Down"(#10), and "Honey I Need"(#13) on the UK singles charts, however they never had a hit in the US.

Last edited by a moderator:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Re: The Pretty Things

Love these guys...been listening more and more these days...:grinthumb

joe

Reaction score

Good to see another fan MP.:grinthumb Very rare.

joe

Reaction score

^^^My 2nd fav. album from the 60's, just behind Forever Changes.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

After checking out your 60's list I checked out the S.F. Sorrow album Joe! I enjoyed it! It was a very eclectic mix of sounds! The songs that stuck out for me were:

Baron Saturday
(pretty funky song)

Loneliest Person
(short but sweet and I like the lyrics)

Old Man Going
(this reminds me of a Chili Peppers intro)

joe

Reaction score

^^^Good to hear Soot. The band had three distinct sounds over thier career. First the punky R&B/blues sound of the mid 60's and then psychedelia/blues in the late 60's and more of a mainstream rock sound of the 70's.

S.F. Sorrow doesn't get the recognisation IMO of not only a musical influence but that this album also is somewhat of a transition and development of psychedelia. There is some singles released just after the release of this album that show cases this even more than the album itself which I will eventually be posting.

Best known for the basis and idea of Tommy, this album is so much more.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

So why is this your personal favorite album Joe if you feel they expanded even more? I hope I'm not forcing your hand ahead of time with that question but I'm curious now! I like knowing why people personally like albums! :D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online