The Pretty Things (Official Thread)

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I see that The Pretty Things are playing Derby as part of sir 50th Anniversary tour, think I will go to that one, haven't seen them in years. Should be a good night...

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I have my ticket for this Friday night in Derby, think I may have a few choice beers in the afternoon, just a nice chill in the pub and then a great concert in the evening:)

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
What a great night they were superb, right at the front and met the main man afterwards....forget the Stones 50th this 50th was much better and cheaper...what a blast...

524010_10151600918480229_2057962720_n.jpg

7265_10151600919430229_1882716161_n.jpg

46599_10151600919325229_2071465405_n.jpg

486223_10151600919175229_1432186224_n.jpg

45265_10151600918785229_1354311676_n.jpg

tkitna

Reaction score
I'm a huge 'Pretty Things' fan and just found this thread. Man, talk about a band that should have made it but didnt. They missed on every account. Usually it was bad management, and then when they finally did get somebody that new what was going on (Peter Grant, manager of Led Zeppelin and head honcho of Swan Songs), the drug use zapped any momentum they had. Even without the commercial success that most british invasion **** had, the Pretties still garnished a rich and interesting history.

I think its cool how their early drummer Vivain Prince was the motivator and precursor for Keith Moon. The man was a maniac, but like Moon, it was also his downfall. He partied so much and caused such trouble that the band was forced to boot him and move forward. He stayed awake for days at a time with constant fighting and pranking, He was the reason they were deported from New Zealand during a successful early tour (the band is still banned from the country to this day). Its things like this that destroyed any chances the band may have had.

I really wasnt a fan of the first couple of albums which were raunchy R&B, and its funny that I really started enjoying them around the 'Emotions' album. I feel this is the record they started to display some real depth in their music writing and a tightness that wasnt there beforehand. Its also funny that they had a grudge with Fontana records at the time because of the producer (Steve Rowland) who was assigned to them. The Pretties were afraid that they were being pushed towards a more commercial sound then what they were accustomed to, so they just did the record to fill the obligation and gave it to them. Fontana then added their own strings and brass over the songs and the finished product was somewhat of a mixed bag. The band hated it, but didnt have a leg to stand on. If you listen to the album, you can tell some parts are so blatantly out of place that its comical, but I still like the record and find it interesting.

tkitna

Reaction score
Imagine if you will for a moment, its 1967 and your recording an album in Abbey Road studios right down the hall from a room in which the Beatles are recording their next album (Sgt. Peppers) and that in turn is right down the hall from another room that Pink Floyd is recording their next album (The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn). How freaking cool would that be? You know they all ran into each other from time to time. Yes, SF Sorrow, produced by Beatle engineer Norman Smith would become the Pretties greatest achievement and my favorite album of all time. Some say it inspired Pete Townsend to write Quadrophenia, but I dont know if he's ever come out and admitted that personally. The Pretty Things in full psychedic overdrive. Awesome.

Dick Taylor leaves the band as they are ready to record 'Parachute'. Regardless, the album is amde and its great. Not really as good as SF Sorrow, but its more of a 70's album with a little more edge. I dont believe the songs are quite as well crafted as the previous album, but it does contain my favorite song they ever did.

After this album they went on to record 'Freeway Madness'. I dont really care for Freeway Madness that much. Its a blueprint for a 70's rock album, but nothing really memorable comes across. What it does have though is the addition of new guitarist, Pete Tolson. I truly think he's one of the great, underrated players on the era, but if you dont like the band, you probably never heard of him. :gig

'Silk Torpedo' was their next effort and dare I say, they might have enetered into the glam/rock world a bit with this album. Personally, I love it and think its probably their third best record. Its pretty strong from start to finish. The band did have some minor success with the song 'Dream/Joey' in which the brinning was rumored to have inspired the intro the Led Zeppelins 'In The Eveneing', but like I said, it was minor success.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I prefer The Pretty Things to The Rolling Stones and I do not understand how they never became more than a cult band. It may be because their early to mid-seventies albums were a bit disappointing. They also seem to be one of those rare bands who were rated by journalists, but ignored by record buyers. Many music fans will probably have heard of Parachute and SFT Sorrow, but how many have heard them from start to finish? When they made a comeback in the late nineties/early-noughties they had some great material, but just seemed to fade away again.

The BBC have some excellent footage, including early r'n'b performances. I haven't searched YouTube, but I would expect it to be there somewhere!

tkitna

Reaction score
I just lost a big post, so here's the abridged version.:bonk:

1975 - 'Savage Eye' album. Signed to Swan Songs by Led Zeppelin manager Peter Grant. Grants wants them to become more commercial and tour. Phil May (frontman and singer) is whacked out on drugs and hates the direction the band is taking. He misses sessions and is hard to work with. He doesnt show up for a huge London tour and the band is dropped from the label. Album isnt bad. Better then most give it credit for, but incosistent.

1980- 'Cross Talk'. Band gets back together and makes new album. Very 80's record though. Every track has slick production and the sound is a further departure from what the Pretties are even yet. Solid album though, but a slaes flop.

1988 - May and Taylor hire session musicians and rerecord songs for the 'Out Of The Island' album. Not much to say except I prefer the originals.

1999 - 'Rage Before Beauty' album. Probably their weakest record to date. It has a few songs I really like (Vivian Prince and the cover of the Stones Play With Fire), but all in all, I dont listen to this one very much.

2007 - 'Balboa Island' - I suppose their last proper studio effort. I like it. It has great energy, upbeat songs, and all the factors that a good Pretty Things record should. By this time, a bunch of stuff had happened though and many members of the band could commit. Skip Alan had heart issues and couldnt play the drums and Walley Waller and Jon Povey had family issues. None of that detracted from the record though. Its good.

tkitna

Reaction score
Two other things and i'll give it a rest.

In 1969, French millionaire Phillip Debarge fell in love with the Pretty Things music and he wanted to hire them as his band to make a studio record. It was all pretty crazy sounding as the Pretties were just coming off of their SF Sorrow success, but they figured if Debarge was fitting the bill and the drugs, why not. They eventually wrote some songs and Debarge sung on the album. Its actually not bad. Pretty good for the most part. Debarge has an ok enough voice and the songs turned out really well. Nothing that would go down as historical, but enjoyable enough.

The Pretty Things also recorded under the Electric Banana guise. This was basically the band doing music for cheap movies and TV shows. They have a few albums out under this name (4 I believe) and the 1973 record 'Hot Licks' is the only album that I dont have from the Pretty Things. It was really hard to find for awhile and expensive. I havent checked on it in a long time, but the songs are on Youtube if anybody was interested.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
This is one of my favourite Pretty Things tracks, All Light Up.

Some of the dates here are wildly inacurate in all directions. I would think around 2000 is correct.

I first heard The Good Mr Square on Harvest's Picnic sampler, although it is from Parachute (1970):

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online