The Pretty Things (Official Thread)

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
Re: The Pretty Things

Here's an early one from The Pretty Things...

Don't Bring Me Down

Last edited by a moderator:

joe

Reaction score

I thought you might stop by Groovy. Poor man's Rolling Stones would sum it up with thier mid 60's recordings only doing it nastier and uglier.:D

S.F. Sorrow I would say is somewhat similar to the Stones Thier Satanic Majesties Request in terms of psychedelia experimentation.

joe

Reaction score

After the release of S.F. Sorrow the band did release more singles ahead of thier next full studio album, Parachute in 1970. These singles are availalble as bonus tracks on Parachute as well as other compilations."Cold Stone" is a fantastic hard rocking tune. A gem.

joe

Reaction score

Often compared to The Beatles' Abbey Road both on musical merit and the time line it was released in 1970, Parachute was recorded in the same studio at Abbey Road.

The Pretties leave the wild psychedelia that was on S.F. Sorrow for more of a prog approach yet still retaining those qualities from S.F. Sorrow but being more mature lyrically and musically. Guitarist Dick Taylor had left the band but Phil May and bassist Wally Allen stepped up in replace of him on the song writing.

The harmonies and melodies are breath taking and are an improvement over S.F. Sorrow and resembles Abbey Road somewhat in both the three part harmony on the "The Good Mr. Square" and the inter connected mini-suites that fills up most of the first side of the album. Again the production on this album was outstanding.

Rolling Stone magazine rated it album of the year for the 1970. Somewhat of a curse(Crack The Sky's s/t debut was rated best album of 1975 and had the same fate)) as the band basically faded out in the early 70's after three dismal releases.

Not quite as astounding as S.F. Sorrow, but very close.

parachute.jpg

ron3603

Reaction score

"Bilbao island" - "Rage before Beauty" and "Out of the island" are the best Pretty Things albums for me .

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

The Pretty Things are playing at the Skegness Rock/Blues Festival this weekend my older brother will be there and the line up of acts looks really good. I think Dick Taylor and Phil May are still in there ???

joe

Reaction score

Man Sox, you guys over there get a bloody festival every weekend. Amazing. I'm not sure if May and Taylor are in the band together. I'm sure one of them would still be.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

I wasn't too sure, I'll have a sniff round Joe .. you are probably right but I think the present line up will keep the folk rocking.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jik32

Members online

No members online now.