"The Official" Straylight Run Thread

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
One group that I really loved while I was in college was Taking Back Sunday! I really believed that their first c.d. was great as well as their second. The group has splintered so many times from it's start that the music has been on the decline in my opinion with each new c.d.! With that being said, their is one Great result of this and that is the creation of:

"Straylight Run"

StraylightRun.jpg

After the first official Taking Back Sunday release "Tell All Your Friends" was put out John Nolan who had contributed vocals, guitar, piano, keyboard and songwriting to the group as well as Shaun Cooper who played bass left the group to form a far different group. The influence that these guys gave the band for better or worse depending on musical preference was very obvious from hearing consequent TBS releases! So after adding his sister, Michelle Nolan who had added background vocals to some TBS songs before and drummer Will Noon of the band "Breaking Pangaea" whose lead singer would ironically take John Nolans spot in TBS the band was officially formed!

I honestly did not know of all this background before buying this c.d. even though I was a huge TBS fan at the time! On my favorite day of the week, new release Tuesday, I saw a spot on the racks with what I still think may be my favorite c.d. cover ever!

This is actually my desktop image as well and has been for over a year!
straylightruncddebut.jpg

The c.d. had a sticker saying that the members were formerly of TBS so I bought this c.d. without hearing a note! What I heard that day blew me away and Straylight Run officially weighed much heavier on my scales of favorites than TBS since the first time I heard them!

I loved how their first song on the c.d. was a real frail stripped to the basics ballad! I don't think I've seen that done before! John Nolans vocals are so imperfect on here but it makes the song so much better because it adds a realness and intimacy to it!

"The Perfect Ending" (title of song is also ironic)

The single that was released for this c.d. was:

"Existentialism on Prom Night"

My other favorites off of this c.d. were:

"Mistakes We Knew We Were Making"
(I love the flow of this song as well as the lyrics! Just a great song!)

"It's For The Best"
(Great harmony and lyrics)

"Sympathy for the Martyr"
(great closer)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: "The Official Straylight Run Thread"

After the first c.d. had a decent level of success they released a really awesome EP with another, in my opinion, great c.d. cover!

"Prepare to Be Wrong"

album-prepare-to-be-wrong.jpg

This EP produced two great gems! One was their heaviest song as well as my favorite single from them!

Big Shot (Hands In The Sky)
(I love this song and think it has one of the best builds ever)

The other is a Bob Dylan cover which is so good that it almost makes we want to listen to more Dylan and I hate Dylan!

"With God on Our Side"
(a live version is the only one available in my search)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

The official second c.d. from Straylight Run:

"The Needles The Space"

0Run%20-%20The%20Needles%20The%20Space%20-%20Cover.jpg

showed the band showing a real classic pop rock influence, particularly "The Beatles"! They even included an EP with a cover of "I'm Only Sleeping" but I can't find it on the good old interweb! This would not only be the last c.d. from them as a major label artist but also the last to include Michelle Nolan!

The standout tracks for me from this release were:

"Who Will Save Us Now"

(My favorite)

Straylight Run – Who Will Save Us Now – Free listening at Last.fm

"Soon We'll Be Living in the Future"

"Buttoned Down"

"We'll Never Leave Again"
Straylight Run – We'll Never Leave Again – Free listening at Last.fm

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

After losing Michelle Nolan, Straylight run became a trio. I actually think Michelle was a great addition for harmonizing on vocals but some of her solo vocal work on the Straylight Run c.d.s was kind of annoying and even grating at times! I actually think Straylight didn't lose all that much with her leaving! After losing their record deal Straylight has been using a different releasing strategy and I've really liked the results so far! Basically they will create three or four solid songs and release them as digital EPs! So far two have been made!
The first EP:

"Un Mas Dos"

unmasdos.jpg

is so awesome that I'm going to link all three songs! I seriously am addicted to this EP and I loved the electronic additions to the songs!

"Wait and Watch"

"Try"

"Ten Ton Shoes"
My favorite, acoustic live version)

The second and newest digital EP is:

"About Time"

469x470.jpeg

One of my favorite Straylight Run songs came from this:

"I'm Through with the Past (But the Past Isn't Through with Me)"
(Great song lyrically especially since it reminds me of one of my favorite movies "Magnolia")

So that is my trek through a band that is definitely in my top ten bands! I think these guys came from what is considered emo roots since two have their roots in Taking Back Sunday but with each c.d. Straylight has become further and further from classification! They are one of the most ambitious, creatively ever changing groups that I've seen in recent music history! They are one of the few groups that I started liking since college that has released a great catalog of work and consistently have me eagerly anticipating every song they release! The only reason I haven't made a thread before now is that i knew this would have to be an ambitious one in order to include everything! Any other fans? Any haters? Let me know your thoughts! Peace!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I see you put a lot of effort into this thread Bry, and very well done, I don't have time to go over everything now, but I'll read everything later.

I have never heard of these guys before, so I am definitely curious now seeing you are such a big fan.

Great job.::rock:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I am really glad you covered this band so thoroughly, Bry, because I have never heard them before or any band even similar to them. This doesn't mean their music style is totally new, just not the kind of music I listen to on a daily basis.

I have to say, the music is a bit slow for my tastes, but I will still give each album you listed a spin.......

and will get back to you on them :)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Lead singer John Nolan

http://manwithamegaphone.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/l_0f71d787d52549178b6060fa6614f9f5-jpg.jpeg

has a solo album out now!

Height
l_003bd1dc9b764a2cb9fe15e1445ed72e.png

John Nolan is one of the best creative forces in music and is always experimenting with how to make artistic choices. From the start he stuck to his guns by leaving Taking Back Sunday as they were becoming huge because it just wasn't the family of musicians it started out as. After he started Straylight Run and acquired a avid following and critical success. Even then he left the label due to it's creative restrictions and decided to really focus on making the best songs possible by only releasing 2 to 3 song EPs! Now he's just making bare simple songs that he loves on his acoustic solo album. Just a real artist not limited by what brings him success but rather by making the most real art he can!

Here are some highlights:

It Takes A Long Time

Not To Let Go

'Til It's Done To Death

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OEITrinida

Members online