"The Official" Nellie McKay Thread

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Oh my god, fantastic!

She shall be added to my list on last.fm, right now. Right freaking now.

She's terrific. <3

Awesome! :grinthumb Believe or not she's too quirky even for the friends that I share musical interest with but in forums I've usually got a good reception with her!

While the thread may be in it's prime and this is a classic rock forum here are two collaborations Nellie had with two veterans on her double disc

Pretty Little Head
album-pretty-little-head.jpg

With Cyndi Lauper
cyndinellie.jpg

Beecharmer
http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/search/songs/?query=nellie%20mckay%20beecharmer

With K.D. Lang
Lang88.jpg

We Had It Right
http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/search/songs/?query=nellie%20mckay%20k.d.%20lang

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
To answer your question Soot, yes I have heard of her and heard tunes. Because of this thread I like her more. the Doris Day stuff blew me away. I'm on the hunt!!

Quality!!

here is the real Doris...

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
love the Doris Day clips MP.
Thanks S & S once again you have amazing tastes. Just ordered the new album can't wait. I just looked if she is playing live in NYC soon she plays here all the time. I found out she is doing a 10 nites on Broadway in June. I've already emailed my friend to see if he can get free tickets!!!

One other note about Nellie-she is a big animals rights activist.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
This is a GREAT week for music! :metal: Nellie is the third of my favorite artist to release music today! :grinthumb

Nellie McKay-Home Sweet Mobile Home

Here's a track that'll be on that album! It's Reggae of all things! This should be a very intriguing and varied album@ :grinthumb:

Caribbean Time

Actually this Reggae thing might be a theme on the album as this is also said to be on the album:

Music starts at 4:28

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
How absolutely darling! My very first impression of her is that she's adorable. <3 My second impression is that her voice resembles Regina Spektor's quite a bit only without the unusual vocal inflections and tricks. I first listened to "Ding-Dong" and thought it was wonderful but upon listening to "Sari" and "The Work Song" I got very impressed with her lyrical structuring and ability as a wordsmith. I'm definitely going to go download some of her stuff right now! :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I don't really hear the Regina connection myself Cosmic but I may now that you put the thought in my head! :heheh: The more you here and get an idea of how versatile she is the more you'll like her! If Doris Day dabbled in rap, spoken word, Reggae, pop and rock you'd have Nellie McKay way before her time! :heheh:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Well you have to take away Regina's distinctive pseudo lisping and accents and the two sound similar in some songs I think. I've never really listened to Doris Day's music aside from "Sentimental Journey" but I can see how Nellie stylized her look to emulate her.

I snagged "Get Away From Me" last night and I'm really liking "Respectable", "Sari", "I Wanna Get Married", "Change the World", and "Really" the most right now. They all have jumped out at me the most so far. :)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrelDeSa

Members online