"The Official" Nellie McKay Thread

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Nellie McKay

200411_40_span9.jpg

Nellie McKay is a very unique female songwriter artist that combines a cabaret old school style with elements of modern music like hip-hop/spoken word in her music. She's a self professed fan of artist like Doris Day and it shows. Her vocals definitely do that era justice! She's both an old soul as well as a whip smart comedian musically! She's not afraid to be bizarre at all! She had a promising major label deal that fizzled after artistic differences with her label about semantics over her second release! Regardless, she finished her second c.d. with fans such as Cyndi Lauper and K.D. Lang contributing. Her third release had some of her best most critically lauded work yet! Nellie is an artist that will continue to carve her name into the world of music with her unique approach, guts and creative wit!

A good example of her singing voice!
Ding-Dong

The Hip-Hop element!
Sari

Humorous and Jazzy!
The Zombie

My favorite
The Work Song
http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/search/songs/?query=nellie%20mckay%20work%20song

Oblivion

Reaction score
Re: Nellie McKay

You have created too many topics to reply to every single one of them... But this one deserves a reply.

Weird. I was going to say something mean at first... Then I heard Sari... made me wonder what the hell she could do aside from the high voice happy singing... And I do like some of her songs.. :)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Yeah I will pick away at all the new threads Bry posted in here as well, starting tomorrow.:D

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

You have created too many topics to reply to every single one of them... But this one deserves a reply.

Weird. I was going to say something mean at first... Then I heard Sari... made me wonder what the hell she could do aside from the high voice happy singing... And I do like some of her songs.. :)

Yeah I will pick away at all the new threads Bry posted in here as well, starting tomorrow.:D

Oblivion-I always recommend going through all the vids in my threads OB because I'll tell you a secret! I'm a softy so I pick ballads from almost any artist. You picked my favorite Nellie song as well as The Work Song though and she is such a weird hodgepodge of an artist! That's why I like her! :grinthumb

LG-Looking forward to it LG! I'd rather you go through them slowly then rush through them anyway! They aren't going anywhere so take your time! :grinthumb I find it's a more rewarding experience! :)

Alocer

Music Fiend
Reaction score

This is amazing...She is really talented...Her varied styles simply show her versatility and varied tastes. Her vocals sometimes seem uplifting but then songs like Sari change it all...Totally amazing....Sari is my favorite by far. I tend not enjoy female solo acts but you got me on this one, thoroughly enjoyable! I'm downloading Sari as we speak in FLAC!!!
A++ S&S!

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
So I just got the newest effort by this artist! Anyone who knows this artist knew that part of her charm was mixing her excellent Doris Day styled vocals with modern elements like hip hop and a sassy attitude! Here's some samples from the album where she pays a very proper tribute to Doris Day and has no trouble holding up her end of it:

Normal As Blueberry Pie: A Tribute to Doris Day
ff4d3c5af196be1ac93f2bccad0.jpg

The Very Thought of You
(live version)

Do Do Do
http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/search/songs/?query=nellie%20mckay%20do%20do%20do

Dig It

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
love Nellie but haven't picked up the new album yet. I like most of her stuff.

Here is another jem:

The Dog Song

Nellie is a trip live. She usually shows up completely unprepared and brings her piano books with her and just flips thru them to decide what song she is going to play next. She always asks the audience for requests. She tells goofy stories and is as cute as a button. She is a big time Vegan so expect a bizarre Vegan story or lecture on eating meat. :heheh: She also sometimes asks questions and hands out funny prizes.

she plays the ukele too
Nellie-Southstreet Seaport, NYC
2952416489_34ff0cff30.jpg

Nellie being goofy at Rubin Museum
2460216603_47fbf99b4f.jpg

Nellie at Joe's Pub 06
165650836_84d4a4b2a9.jpg

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I like Nellie's stuff ALOT Soot!!!

The Doris Day Tribute is FANTASTIC!!

:grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
love Nellie but haven't picked up the new album yet. I like most of her stuff.

I dare say we have very similar taste in general Aktivator! I'm glad I had a reason to rejuvenate this thread because as usual you provide great pics and anecdotes! :grinthumb

I like Nellie's stuff ALOT Soot!!!

The Doris Day Tribute is FANTASTIC!!

:grinthumb

As one who isn't overly acquainted with Doris Day that's cool to hear MP! Were you already a Nellie McKay fan MP or did you just hear her recently through my thread? :)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online