The Official "90's British Pop" Music Appreciation Thread

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
This thread is dedicated to all those bands who were once a part of the British pop scene from the late 80's through the late 90's.

From the bigger names like Catherine Wheel, Happy Mondays, The Stone Roses, Oasis and The Verve to the more obscure artists such as Ride, Blur and Curve, this is your chance to discuss anything and everything about the bands, the albums, the songs, the videos, the concerts or anything else you deem worthy of discussion about this particular genre of music.

Being a native of Los Angeles, I only knew what was played on the radio out here, or what I read in Rolling Stone, so I never had a first hand account of "the scene", but I sure liked an awful lot of the music from that period.

I'll kick things off with a couple of favorite songs of mine -- "Black Metallic" from Catherine Wheel and "Loose Fit" from Happy Mondays. :)

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Great timing Dave 78! I was just playing "urban hymns"-THE VERVE!
I like a lot of these bands....and as for black metallic by CATHERINE WHEEL:bow::bow:I have a lot of their records especially 12 inches
Heres a track by RIDE another band from that era I love. I saw them live but i was very drunk that night supported by THE VERVE

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
Some bands just seem to get it right with one album and The Verve certainly did just that with Urban Hymms. "Bittersweet Symphony" was a huge hit out here and was one of the very few albums I bought for just one song. The rest of the material on the cd turned out to be every bit as good so it was a win/win for me! :grinthumb

"Drive Blind" is great song, and is my second favorite by Ride after "Leave Them All Behind". :cheers:

We're off to a good start, Lou. Let's hope it gathers some momentum! :cheers:

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
:bonk: I never did get to see CATHERINE WHEEL "Live" sigh. I blame my mate SWEATY for me having so many of their records....he used to work in a record shop and was always on the ball with new record releases....
"Urban hymns" is a good album as you say it gels very well "bitter sweet symphony" was a no 1 here in the UK...but the album wasnt as commercial as expected.Phew
CURVE what a band! Heres a classic..........

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Nice thread Dave...I like Blur I have two of their albums that I play regularly, I'll post them tomorrow.:grinthumb

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
I did a load of work around the Runcorn area in 1990 and lodged in Warrington were the music from the Manchester scene was really active. Young new bands played in the pubs and I thought they had a great sound. Stone Roses were a good band Lou.

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
I remember when I local radio began playing The Stone Roses' "I Want To Be Adored"... I kept thinking 'why does he want to be a door?' :heheh: The other song from their debut album I also like is the trippy 8-minute "Fool's Gold". But after "I Want To Be Adored", my next favorite Stone Roses song is "Love Spreads". Love the guitar layers and textures.

Another superb song from that era that shouldn't be overlooked is "The Only One I Know" by The Charlatans.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Here are my two contributions to Dave's thread.

As stated in another thread I like Blur much more than Oasis, I only have two of their CD's and would rec them to anyone who was interested in the band.

Blur-ModernLifeIsRubbish-Front.jpg

Blur-Parklife-Front.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlineclass

Staff online

Members online