The Official "90's British Pop" Music Appreciation Thread

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
Hey, Lou... "Horror Head" is definitely one of Curve's better known songs. Here's a lesser known song of theirs -- "Fait Accompli" -- off of Doppelganger that I also like alot.

LG - it's good to see your name in this thread, too. Even if you don't have much in your library to add, hopefully you will find some good songs along the way here that will pique your interest. :)

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
Tray73 - I haven't heard of most of the bands you posted, but they sound interesting so I'll check them out on iTunes. The Space clip you posted sounds a lot like Fiona Apple and/or Amy Winehouse to me.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
:bow:"Fait accompli" -CURVE and some top tunes Tray...my brother loved SPACE......What happened to them I wonder?
LG...BLUR ..Good fun band..made some catchy tunes/great singles...must admit never heard the albums. I have seen BLUR "live" ,supporting MY BLOODY VALENTINE and one of my favourites JESUS AND THE MARY CHAIN .It was about 1990 before they were famous.
Other top bands from the era, The lovable ...SUEDE

and what about THE INSPIRAL CARPETS ? GREAT STUFF!!

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
Yeah, Inspiral Carpets had a few hits of their own, too. Like this one:

Which for some reason reminds me a lot of:

Last edited:

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
The Soup Dragons cover The Stones:

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
For your dining and dancing pleasure, here are a few more songs from the 90's britpop era from Suede, The Heart Throbs and Moose:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Hey Dave, great thread and an under appreciated genre! Unfortunately anything with the word pop will always be that way! I discovered this group after the 90's but they definitely fit this movement. They are a fun group from Wales with an awesomely unique female vocalist!

Catatonia-Road Rage

Catatonia-Mulderr and Scully

Catatonia-I Am The Mob

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
Where I come from, the term "pop" relegated someone in the 70's to "AM" or, later in the 80's, "FM Top 40" status. I think the "Brit/Pop" or "Acid/Pop" terms of the 90's were simply used to refer to a genre of music similar to that of the Psychedelic movement born in the 60's (mainly because many of these 90's bands were into tabs of acid -- allegedly ;)). To add, the music was mainly played on FM Alternative radio along side bands like 311, Dishwalla and Stone Temple Pilots so it was never really considered "pop" in the same sense that the boy bands of the 90's were.

But in any event, from the etheral soundscapes to layered textures to a wall of sonic sound, the bands recorded some great music that still sounds good today.

Catatonia's music sounds interesting, and seems to have a certain Celtic flair or influence, so thanks for the contribution, S&S. :)

Last edited:

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
Two more before I close-up shop for the night. Not from the 90's, but both were part of the preceding British Goth/Dark Wave movement from the mid to late 80's:

The The with "Kingdom Of Rain" (featuring a young Sinead O'Conner) from 1989

and

The Jesus And Mary Chain's "Inside Me" from 1985

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online