The Mysterious King Crimson

ChibiGeeBee

One Spoony Bard
Reaction score
I finally listened to the whole of "In The Court of The Crimson King". This little bit of 60's genius (if it even IS 60's, I do believe it is, hence posting here) is a real puzzler.

The whole album is quality, my favorite is the epically operatic ending track.

Most of the time, I am able to put together a story from a concept album- a wonky one, but a story nonetheless- but "Crimson King" is different.

I have no bloody clue. I THINK it has something to do with the end of the World, and possibly nuclear war. The members of the King's Court, I believe they represent different nations\cultures\ethnicity.

So, what is it about, and what, pray tell, are the impressions out there?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I honestly can't remember right now ChibiGeeBee...:think:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
There are plenty of KC fans here so be patient and I guarantee you'll get answers here from the devout. I personally have not yet delved into the arena of King Crimson music. :D

Odysseus

Kustom Kartilage
Reaction score
I never thought Court was a concept album Chibigeebee in the sense that it was a continuous story linked by songs like the Who's Tommy. To me, it's more of a hard, progressive rock album with a few twists and turns. My favorite cut is I Talk To The Wind.

I haven't listened to Court lately but King Crimson albums usually deliver, for me anyway, a bit of the "expect the unexpected" that only the brilliant Robert Fripp can dish out along with his revolving band of geniuses.

If you want to explore more, further listening can be had with In The Wake Of Poseidon, Islands, Lark's Tongue In Aspic and Red (an awesome, possibly definitive KC album).

Hopefully some hardcore King Crimson enthusiasts will chime in.

Abraxas

Reaction score
I agree with Odysseus. I don't think In The Court Of The Crimson King is a concept album. Just a collection of great songs with twists and turns despite the doom and gloom quality of the lyrics with the exception of Moonchild.

I have a book called In The Court Of King Crimson where they talk about each album and each track in great detail and it confirms that it's a collection of songs. It's a great album. I happen to like all the songs and it's one of several albums I can hear from start to finish.

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
I never thought Court was a concept album Chibigeebee in the sense that it was a continuous story linked by songs like the Who's Tommy. To me, it's more of a hard, progressive rock album with a few twists and turns. My favorite cut is I Talk To The Wind.

I haven't listened to Court lately but King Crimson albums usually deliver, for me anyway, a bit of the "expect the unexpected" that only the brilliant Robert Fripp can dish out along with his revolving band of geniuses.

If you want to explore more, further listening can be had with In The Wake Of Poseidon, Islands, Lark's Tongue In Aspic and Red (an awesome, possibly definitive KC album).

Hopefully some hardcore King Crimson enthusiasts will chime in.

I agree with Odysseus. I don't think In The Court Of The Crimson King is a concept album. Just a collection of great songs with twists and turns despite the doom and gloom quality of the lyrics with the exception of Moonchild.

I have a book called In The Court Of King Crimson where they talk about each album and each track in great detail and it confirms that it's a collection of songs. It's a great album. I happen to like all the songs and it's one of several albums I can hear from start to finish.

I finally listened to the whole of "In The Court of The Crimson King". This little bit of 60's genius (if it even IS 60's, I do believe it is, hence posting here) is a real puzzler.

The whole album is quality, my favorite is the epically operatic ending track.

Most of the time, I am able to put together a story from a concept album- a wonky one, but a story nonetheless- but "Crimson King" is different.

I have no bloody clue. I THINK it has something to do with the end of the World, and possibly nuclear war. The members of the King's Court, I believe they represent different nations\cultures\ethnicity.

So, what is it about, and what, pray tell, are the impressions out there?

I honestly can't remember right now ChibiGeeBee...:think:

the crimson are one of my top five progressive rock bands wish they`ll hmmm would have had there own thread...

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
King Crimson do have their own thread. You're the last reply from it in fact. lol

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online