The Lemon Pipers (Official Thread)

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
lemonpipers1.jpg

Wiki Link

Green Tambourine (1968)
Jungle Marmalade (1968)

Perhaps one of few 60s groups to have such a short life due to the Record company they worked for they only managed 2 albums before disputes with their Record Company decided not to take on anymore of their music.

And I found some interesting songs on YouTube, it's sadly missing some of their hard edged songs. The Lemon Pipers are sadly only remembered for "Green Tambourine" - a song which they weren't happy with, though gave them their one big hit - their only other hit was a minor Top 50 with "Rice is Nice".

Their albums are interesting though, their second album seems to have a harder edge to it and they did some really nice songs on it, I've only found Jelly Jungle from it. Their first album "Green Tambourine" had a mix of Pop and Bubblegum-pop or Light Psychedelic with a lengthy 9 minute though interesting "Through With You" closing the album.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
Re: The Lemon Pipers

I've always liked the sound of the Lemon Pipers but I don't have any of their discs in my collection. That's another personal deficiency I should look to rectifying.

:wa:

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

Hepcat wrote:

I've always liked the sound of the Lemon Pipers but I don't have any of their discs in my collection. That's another personal deficiency I should look to rectifying.

:wa:

Personally I don't know if both of their albums are on CD - I think Green Tambourine is, but I'm uncertain about their second album (Jungle Marmalade), but personally I don't think you'll need the albums they made. If you find a Best of The Lemon Pipers album covered in psychedelic colours with a picture of the group on the front then that's the album to get cause that's got the complete Green Tambourine album on it (all jumbled up) and is just missing 2 songs from their second album on it. Out of the 2 albums they had I like their second album (even if I don't know what the 2 missing songs are), cause there's some wonderful songs on it which exploit more of that bands capabilities. "Everything is You" is one of my favourite songs which accompanies Organ and Harpsichord, likewise "Love Beads & Meditation" & "Lonely Atmosphere" delivers more of Orchestral sound.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

How the hell did I miss this thread!

The Lemon Pipers hail from where I grew up; Oxford, Ohio. :)

Story of William Bartlett of The Lemon Pipers from Oxford, Ohio

The Story of The Lemon Pipers as told by Ivan Browne of Oxford, Ohio

More Lemon Pipers from the Cincinnati Enquirer

lpgroup1.jpg

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

Magic wrote:

How the hell did I miss this thread!

Too busy talking 70s music Magic? :eek:hyeah:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

did you read those pages, CP/M? pretty cool reading what the actual band members say about their past, and Lemon Pipers.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

Magic wrote:

did you read those pages, CP/M? pretty cool reading what the actual band members say about their past, and Lemon Pipers.

Sadly no - you've caught me slacking off and I had to send some important information off so I could keep some of my friends busy. I'll make an effort today to have a look - sounds interesting though. :D

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score

Wow! The same fellow, Bill Bartlett, was behind both "'Green Tambourine" and "Black Betty"!

:grinthumb

Rocker440

Reaction score

Wow! Seeing this thread takes me back many years! :tongue:

I used to have and listen initially to what maybe their more popular songs on 45 records. :wtf: Hopefully there are a few that remember those small vinyl things? ;)

"Green Tambourine" "Jelly Jungle" and I believe "Rice Is Nice"(?) were the songs on them. I haven't thought about these songs for some time. If I also remember correctly, there was a very strange, backward sounding song on the "B-side" of one of these small records, too. I have tried to find that song on any cd, whether an original release, reissue or a compilation as well, to no avail. It must only be available on that "B-side" of vinyl! :dunno:

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

I think The B-Track song to "Green Tambourine" was "No Help From Me", which ironically enough wasn't included on the Original "Green Tambourine" album, but I doubt it's the song you're referring to. I personally have that song on my Best Of The Lemon Pipers CD too and I think more recent reissues of "The Green Tambourine" album also include "No Help From Me" as a Bonus track. "Jelly Jungle" is the opening song to their second album and it's B-Side is "Shoeshine Boy" which is another track I have on my "Best Of" CD! :D And the B-Track to "Rick is Nice" is "Blueberry Blue" which again is a song on my CD! :grinthumb

But here's a list of all the stuff their've put out and other albums which had their stuff on it! :D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online

No members online now.