Votes: 11 27.5%
  • The Rolling Stones

Votes: 29 72.5%

• Total voters

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I love - 'Gimme Shelter' and 'Paint It Black' -

Gimme Shelter = one of the greatest songs ever written/recorded by any genre/band/artist/whatever.

that is one song that I have NEVER fastforwarded through, skipped or changed the station when it's playing. Never.

jives11

Reaction score
Kinks.

Though I have to confess that I have one of those completely irrational,bigoted & belligerent prejudices against the Stones - not sure why.
I love the Kinks for their sense of humour, word play, English-ness , and some of the greatest pop ever ("Waterloo Sunset", "David Watts").

"The Kinks are the Village Green preservation Society" would always be in my top 10 Album collection. As good an album as Revolver or Odyssey & Oracle (IMHO)

Last edited:

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
The Kinks without a shadow of a doubt.

I could never get into The Rolling Stones, whereas I really love The Kinks. I admit Brian Jones, Mick Taylor and Nicky Hopkins are/were all great musicians and the Glimmer Twins' songs are admired by almost everybody. But I am not aware of a weak song or performance in The Kinks' catalgue, and while The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society is deservedly acclaimed as a masterpiece, which will never appear dated, later albums like Give the People What They Want and UK Jive are underrated works of art. I hear very few hard rock bands bands, if any, that that do not contain elements of The Kinks. They also influenced many progresive rock bands too. Added to this is a whole string of hit singles that are household tunes in the UK, and outstanding live shows (in small clubs). Ray Davies is still writing melodic songs with barely concealed political attacks on our obnoxious politicians and bankers, but sadly it's all rap and boy/girl bands now. With The Rolling stones continuing to perform live, it's about time The Kinks reformed and made another album.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Yes, it does seem like a Hampshire thing (Jagger and Richards are from Kent). Not everything by The Rolling Stones is bad (Steel Wheels), but Black & White, Some Girls, Tattoo You and Undercover are practically disco - hence the virtual split through the eighties. A ratio of 12:5 is a surprise to me.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrelDeSa

Staff online

Members online