The Golden Age

Baz

Reaction score
I was asked in a forum once why I was STUCK in the 60's and 70's........actually, it is often said that the golden age of music, rock and folk/rock, was from Kennedy's assassination thru the arrival of disco.

Be that as it may, that area is indeed the most fertile for me, and my question back was why would I have to 'explain' my infatuation with that period of music, esp. when the question asked of me was why I was so closed to today's music. Very simply, it is true I find very little good music from today's younger performers.....But here's the essence: music is like food....what you like is not for me to judge....I don't ask people to explain their tastes....but moreover, do we ask an aficionado of classical why they spend so much time listening to the Baroque Period, or to the Romantics; do we ask fans of Jazz, often portrayed as the ultimeate in 'cool', why they are 'stuck' in the period that featured Bird, early Miles, Brubeck, Coltrane, Bill Evans, Gil Evans, Mingus and on and on......Are they closed to modern music???....Of course not, but they are devotees of an extraordinarily rich time in jazz.

So for me, it is Beatles to Stones, Moodies to Steely, Doobies to Paxton, Traffic to Cream, Dylan to Donovan......and on and on and on.......Looking forward to talking about all music with you folks.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Welcome to CRF. We all like what we like and one man's "crap" is another man's treasure. I hope you find this place as entertaining as I do. :)

Baz

Reaction score
Nice to meet you MW.......I'm a bit older than you, but not a grandfather yet....but you must have a passion for music as I do.....You are exactly right, I did want to set the tone of my posting (I was here some time ago, but the site stopped I guess for some time)........I love Randy Newman, classic Dylan (meaning, not the last few years when his voice is so shot, IMHO), and no one will say they have sweet voices......but I can't get into Tom Waits....as a writer, oh yes, but not as a singer.....that's not to insult anyone's tastes, it's what makes music so magical, that something can hit my brain and senses and do one thing, and that same person misses the mark with you, and vice versa....the real magic is when we share a love for a performer, extraordinarily feeling to talk about how it was the first time you heard the opening riff to White Room, or Money for Nothing, or the chord at the start of Hard Day's Night.
Look forward to talking with you..........enjoyed a time in Michigan some time ago, I think the speed limit was 70....

Barry

Debs

Banned
Reaction score
Baz!!!! Wow good to see you again ! I remember you from the original Crf{part 1} I used to be {at times still am, Astrid Kirchherr} I'm returning to this forum {yeah!} Howdy !

Debs

Banned
Reaction score
Baz said:
astrid/debs

good to see you again....I don't think I've been around here for 6 months, probably longer......eager to share music (and other) posts with you.

Barry
Yes, I'm rarely here myself..but it's good to see your name..a nice blast from the past :D

Debs

Banned
Reaction score
Music Wench said:
Hey Astrid, so you're the old newbie! Nice to see you back. :)
Yeah :lol: Well, I'm a bit of a loudmouth opinionated chick..which tends to get me into things :D I Bet you know what you mean :D He He ...But yeah I'm here ! And Baz, I'm gonna check out your idea in the 60's !

Midnight Rider

Captain Karma
Reaction score
It's good to have you here Baz. I can tell from what you have written that you know alot about music from the 60s and 70s. I am looking forward to getting your input on all the great music from that period.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DebDimond

Members online