The Cultural Impact of Two Classic Rock Songs (Guns N Roses Vs Nirvana)

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Wiki - Given, it may not be the most factual site to go by, but it was an interesting quote.

Grunge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Conversely, another alternative rock genre, Britpop, emerged in part as a reaction against the dominance of grunge in the United Kingdom. In contrast to the dourness of grunge, Britpop was defined by "youthful exuberance and desire for recognition".[51] Britpop artists were vocal about their disdain for grunge. In a 1993 NME interview, Damon Albarn of Britpop band Blur agreed with interviewer John Harris' assertion that Blur was an "anti-grunge band", and said, "Well, that's good. If punk was about getting rid of hippies, then I'm getting rid of grunge".

As I wrote -- Brit-pop emerged around this time as a reaction against grunge. Bands such as Blur and Oasis were against the pessimistic attitudes and sick of how miserable rock n roll had become.

Britpop might have come along at the same time as grunge and I'm sure britpop bands were pissed they weren't getting the play the seattle grunge scene; however, their music had nothing to do with grunge and came along without anything to do with grunge and it sound. The britpop movement and sound came from the 80's bands of Manchester (Stone Roses and and Happy Mondays), The Smiths along with the influences of early British guitar music of the past, particularly movements and genres such as the British Invasion, glam rock, and punk rock. The idea that britpop only happened because of grunge is nonsense.

metalife

Reaction score
I'm guessing the in the wiki article the term 'emerged' could be consider - 'a rise in popularity' which could certainly ring true when you think that a lot of rock fans at the time were getting sick of all the misery that grunge portrayed.

But yeah, happy to stand corrected on that one. I don't know much about Brit Pop and in hindsight I'm sure it didn't just appear our of nowhere. All genres have a history. Bands like Blur and Oasis could be considered the biggest of the bunch, yes? And appeared after the grunge era?

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online