the best nostalgic, sad or depressed rock albums?

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
No nostalgia with this album - but it is certainly sad and depressing when you read some of the lyrics set against the background of what was actually going on during the making of it. I still love it though!
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Have to agree with you on this one. I always found the songs on this album to be too-heavy-subject matter so I don't listen it often at all.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
25ywx09.jpg

The last one with Peter Green, some of the tracks hit home and give a clue to his state of mind. A screaming brilliant way to bow out of a band. What a talent.

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
Janis Ian and Richard Bona performing At Seventeen

Lou Reed - Sad Song (HQ)

The Rolling Stones - Sister Morphine (RARE LIVE VERSION)

tkitna

Reaction score
Probably the saddest album I have. Written right after he was diagnosed to die with cancer and released just 2 weeks before he passed.

000dbd62_medium.gif

I dare anybody to listen to his rendition of 'Knockin On Heavens Door' without wiping a tear.

As for nostalgia and depressing albums that I love, I would probably choose the Moody Blues 'On A Threshold Of A Dream' through 'Seventh Sojourn'. I dearly love those albums, but wouldn't rush to slap them on during a party.

finrock

Reaction score
"the best nostalgic, sad or depressed rock albums?"

This question depent a lot of that which have listened and when.... But if I use all words I can find at least two albums:

1. The 69 Eyes - Paris Kills (2002)

"Helsinki Vampires" are well known about a gothic metal, rock'n roll and glam rock but they are maybe mostly known of their singer Jyrki69's voice which some people compare to Peter Steele (Type O Negative).

The album has many good songs with good melodies. Mostly of them tell about loving and that's kind of things.

The 69 Eyes is also celebrating their 25 years band's history (they are founded 1989's from same year than Type O Negative) and touring normally around of world.

2. Viikate - Marraskuun lauluja II (Song's of November II) (2007). Only bad thing can be that its for finnish.

Viikate has a long band history (founded 1996). They are like "gods" in Finland and one of the biggest bands. They mixing old kind of 1980's "rautalanka" wire-music style with newer metal (and hard rock) and also in Finland popular 1950's song's style. So their music style is quite unique if you compare it to any other rock or metal band.

The album is very diverse (it has happiness and sadness). Need only listen the songs and can feel atmoshpere which they have. The lyrics use those melodies perfectly.

The songs have translated for english (dunno how good those translates are becose should check them V FOR VIIKATE).

220px-The_69_Eyes_-_Paris_Kills.jpg
260px-Marraskuun_lauluja_II.png

Of corse both bands are my big favourites...

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ByronPasch

Members online