the best nostalgic, sad or depressed rock albums?

Reaction score
i would like you say me which is for you, the best nostalgic, sad or depressed rock albums?

For example, for me Crash Test Dummies "God Shuffled his feet...", they convey me nostalgic...

Another example is Marillion, "Brave", or "Marbles" albums... They had songs with a sadly melody... but i love it!

Another album is Crowded House "Across a Wire"... 100% nostalgic sound

across_a_wire.jpg

Crash+Test+Dummies+-+Mmm+Mmm+Mmm+Mmm+-+5%22+CD+SINGLE-42119.jpg

51JRVB271VL._SY300_.jpg

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Good idea for a thread.

I can remember the first time I heard The Cure. I had been doing some digging into gothic rock and gothic metal.....and this band came up on the lists. I totally missed hearing this band in the 80's.

A lot of their work is very dark, gloomy, and depressing. One of my picks would be the Disintegration album. Don't let the label of "depressing" scare you away from this album. This album is quite good. The album was commercially successful, too. Their music is unique, and that caught my attention.

CureDisintegration.jpg

WetWilly

Whiskey Rock-A-Roller
Reaction score
In_the_aeroplane_over_the_sea_album_cover_copy.jpg

I can't really explain it, but In the Aeroplane Over the Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel fits in that category too me..

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Good call on Marillion, aosda. They definitely have some sad tunes, yet for me personally, there's always something uplifting about them. The same can be said about the following album, which was the first one I thought of when I read the topic headline:

SmashingPumpkins-Adore.jpg

One of my favourite 90s albums.

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
I don't know about sad or depressing but this album is very nostalgic to me:

cover_9512192009.jpg

Pink Floyd - The Division Bell (1994)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Good call on Marillion, aosda. They definitely have some sad tunes, yet for me personally, there's always something uplifting about them. The same can be said about the following album, which was the first one I thought of when I read the topic headline:

SmashingPumpkins-Adore.jpg

One of my favourite 90s albums.

Dishwalla - Opaline

Another nostalgic album to me!

B00006419P.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Adore = :bow:

When it comes to taking the most depressing thing that can happen in a persons life, the death of a loved one, and making a beautiful tribute nothing beats "For Martha".

"Opaline" is a great album by an underrated band! This song is a masterpiece!

Candleburn

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Best rock/folk albums for reflective depression ever!

City and Colour -Bring Me Your Love
5164JealfKL.jpg

Brand New-The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me
tumblr_inline_msv9sm3cK31qz4rgp.jpg

And as a bonus this one is one of the best made Soul breakup and heartbreak albums period!

Kanye West-808's and Heartbreak
31aIe%2BUQuaL.jpg

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Depressing albums? .... well, everything I have ever heard by Peter Hammill, with or without his band Van der Graaf Generator, makes me feel like washing 50 sleeping tablets down with a litre of malt whiskey, and then sticking my head inside the gas oven just in case the pills and booze merely makes me throw up all over the kitchen floor. To me it's hands-down the most miserable depressing music ever devised.

Leonard Cohen I know has a reputation for being rather depressing music, which I disagree with, I think it's more that he just has an extremely miserable singing voice, there's nothing intrinsically depressing about the songs themselves that I can hear.

Sad and nostalgic are completely different matters, that can be quite life-affirming and a thing of beauty, though there's sad and nostalgic moments probably in thousands of tracks known to me, and even more so in classical music.

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
Depressing albums? .... well, everything I have ever heard by Peter Hammill, with or without his band Van der Graaf Generator, makes me feel like washing 50 sleeping tablets down with a litre of malt whiskey, and then sticking my head inside the gas oven just in case the pills and booze merely makes me throw up all over the kitchen floor. To me it's hands-down the most miserable depressing music ever devised.

:heheh: I've heard that name before but didn't know about their music.

I'll add that a lot of Radiohead is quite depressing. But I still love most of it!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeenaTrowb

Members online