The Bell Notes (Official Thread)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
41KSJPGPBBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

0000809967_350.jpg

So here is a band from the 50's (from Long Island, New York ) that I've loved since I was a kid! Not much to say on these guys as they were a singles band really. No website or discography to really conjur up, so I'll leave a Wiki link HERE that you can all look at.

Just wondering if I'm the only one to have had the pleasure of listening to the grovvin' sounds of The Bell Notes.

Carl Bonura - vocals, saxophone
John Casey - drums
Ray Ceroni - vocals, guitar
Lenny Giambalvo - bass
Peter Kane - piano

Chime in if you're a fan or have heard of these guys and post a favorite tune if you would like. Or let me know what you think of these guys.

Not too often I start a thread for a 50's band, and I'm hopin' a couple members may dig it, be it Groovy Man, Garrett or a few others.

Three short years for these guys...should have been longer 1959-1962

ENJOY!!!

You're A Big Girl Now

One of my faves here

Don't Ask Me Why

1103563.jpg

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: The Bell Notes

Hey, I at least listened to the two songs posted MP and too be honest it was o.k. but I don't think I could pick them apart from the other 50's groups myself. :)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Re: The Bell Notes

:heheh:

Probably not, but I like the poppier elements here. What I dig about these guys is the guitar solo/work, like in You're A Big Girl Now.

Alot of folks rave about the solo, say in Bill Haley's Rock Around The Clock and IMO this tops that. Very advanced soloing for it's time and inventive.

Also in Don't Ask Me Why I feel they are ahead of their time in terms of what the pop/bubblegum music of the 60's put out as well as bands of today such as Green Day or Blink 182.

Think Tom DeLonge in that second song :D

Here was another big single for them.

I've Had It

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
Hey, I at least listened to the two songs posted MP and too be honest it was o.k. but I don't think I could pick them apart from the other 50's groups myself. :)

:heheh:

Probably not, but I like the poppier elements here. What I dig about these guys is the guitar solo/work, like in You're A Big Girl Now.

Alot of folks rave about the solo, say in Bill Haley's Rock Around The Clock and IMO this tops that. Very advanced soloing for it's time and inventive.

Also in Don't Ask Me Why I feel they are ahead of their time in terms of what the pop/bubblegum music of the 60's put out as well as bands of today such as Green Day or Blink 182.

Think Tom DeLonge in that second song :D

Here was another big single for them.

I've Had It

difficult to commit on this purely 50`s band like what I`ve heard here

Max Mooney

Reaction score
Ah, man. I have the I've Had It single but that's all I have by them on physical media and was meaning to hear their other stuff but never did. I've Had It is a total classic and it's so because it's incredibly simple but has cool put-er-down lyrics and the most basic of Doo Wop influence but in a cool minimalist way.

You're A Big Girl Now...
I never heard that one. But it's pretty friggin' amazing. As you said, that Solo is something to behold. It almost sounds like something Johnny ''Guitar'' Watson would do in the mid-50's but that mostly flew under the radar. Still great though. I think you'd love it. BUT. The song at hand has a VERY rippin' solo and is DEFINITELY worthy of praise. The solo alone would earn it a spin at a dance party. I've heard a TON of Rockabilly, R&B and general Rock & Roll in this era cause it's my biggest interest (along with the 60's) and I think it'd stack up pretty highly against most comers known and unsung.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online