The BEATLES (Official Thread)

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
I think the Eppie story may not necessarily be of interest to Beatle people only.It's a rather heartwrenching tale of a man who yes did take significant role in the creation of the greatest entertainment phenomenon of all time but at the same time even with all his wealth fame and industry importance,still harbored many feelings of self doubt and depression,not to mention the complication of matters caused by his romantic attraction to John Lennon.Of course,there is no happy ending here,but the fact that Epstein could make the major accomplishment in the rock world of managing the greatest signers ever by over coming so many emotional and personal obstacles should more than a reasonably engrossing story.Here in the States,I guess we'll just have to wait for DVD releases or a distinctly possible airing on good ol' 60's friendly PBS............................

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I didn't know Epstein was attracted to John Lennon...must have been an uncomfortable feeling for John if he knew.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Apparently the story was true according to Beatles confidante and Joohn Lennon friend from childhood Peter Shotton,who spoke of the attraction in his wonderful insider book "The Beatles:John Lennon and Me".In fact there was a rumor,which many now believe to be true that Lennon and Epstein actuall had sodomy or some form of homosexual sex whil on vacation in Barcelona in 1963.At Paul McCartney's 21 birthday party in 1963,Cavern Club announcer Bob Wooler was making jokes of the matter,spuring Lennon to club Wooler over the head with a shovel.Some have actually theorized that Lennon may have been bisexual,but somehow I think he was straight but the liberal type who just may have been curious about sexual exploration and experimentation.Also,I attended a Beatle convention in 1983 where Peter Brown was the key note speaker and he claimed in person and in the book he was selling at the time that Epstein was indeed in love with John.But as far as people who have claimed the Beatles would never have been signed without this romantic attraction taking place,I find that hard to believe.I know they were turned down by many companied before convincing Georeg MArtin at EMI to sign them,but I think that was because the Beatles were geniuses as a unit and wer ahead of their time so the ones who rejected them just "didn't get it" while Martin had some foresight on the matter.EVentually,SOMEONE would have singed them.THere was WAY,WAY too much going on here in a culturally significant way for the world to just blow the whole thing off.This much talent and inspiration could not possibly have gone unnoticed by the major record firms for much longer.Afterall,there had to be SOME reason for the extreme feedbacks of adulation they were receiving in Hamburg and back home at the Cavern.

LesPaul

Classic Rocker
Reaction score
Music+Poetry=BEATLES
"Eleanor Rigby" is just an example, but I can also say "Yesterday" or my favorite one "Let It Be"
If you love Beatles, you have to see "Nowhere Boy"

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
I once read that the lyrics to "Norwegian Wood" were actually published in a volume of selected quality poetry in England.I've been listening a lot lately to "Dig A Pony",which I sometimes listen to actually tuning the music OUT and just digging the words as pieces of surrealist potery.Here's an even better example of Beatles as poetry,the mind bending trippy verbage of "Fixing A Hole" from "Sgt. Pepper"!

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Something that's always blown my mind with the Beatles is how they had three naturally gifted voices in one band. I see lots of good bands with great musicians but really good vocalists are hard to come by. The Beatles had it on tap IMO.

Khor1255

Reaction score
Pink Floyd had four at the time Syd was in the band. Richard Wright is a good singer though he rarely took lead vocal.

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Picked up a lunch box today, thought I would post the pics here. :D

100_8726_zps0f6b849a.jpg

100_8725_zpsfea55b6d.jpg

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
Fleetwood Harrison...

10330310_304793396355857_4536175593831986361_n.jpg

Find member