That Could Have Been A Beatles Song!

newdawnfades

Reaction score
Have you ever heard a song by another band and something about it reminded you of the Beatles? It could be the vocals, the lyrics, the guitar, anything.

Here's my selection:

Off of their newest album, a song called Shine On by Jet. Really good tune, totally reminds me of the Fab Four.

jet_wideweb__470x348,0.jpg

deezee

Reaction score
the first time i heard a few notes of badfinger doing "come and get it" (probably like lots of others on here who were around) i thought it was the beatles. it was 1969 and they hadn't broken up yet so it was more plausible. of course the fact that paul wrote the song and it was produced at apple had a lot to do with it i guess. ditto for "no matter what".

pooldude

Older than Dirt
Reaction score
I think the All-Time Greatest Beatles Spoof / Tribute / Rip-Off has to go to the Knickerbockers & their hit "Lies".

The entire U.S. was convinced it was really the Beatles recording under another name, during the song's rise up the charts in 1966.

Listen how the lead vocal is a dead ringer for John Lennon, along with the trademark Rickenbacker rhythm guitar sound, later utilized by the Romantics...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71vesiZo3zw

f91027x9hct.jpg

runtfan

Reaction score
Nirvanadude said:
I always thought "It's Love" by Kings X could have been a Beatles song.

Vocally speaking...absolutely!! (along with many other King's X songs)

...but Ty Tabor smokes John and George on guitar.

pooldude

Older than Dirt
Reaction score
"Sowing the Seeds of Love" by Tears for Fears is one of the best Beatles tributes I've ever heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzYpTFmlS4w

They start off with an "I Am the Walrus" style vocal cadence & instrumental rhythm track; they have the Wurlitzer electric piano sound going; then they pull in the circus sounding trumpets from the Sgt Pepper era...

...& @ 4 minutes into the song, as they come out of the dreamy section, here comes the quintessential George Harrison distorted guitar riff leading back into the "I am the Walrus" verse.

I could pick out lots more direct cops...but you get the idea.

They were quite brilliant on that song.

tears1-tm.jpg

runtfan

Reaction score
Some of the tracks off of "Skylarking" by XTC are very Beatle-ish..."Summer's Cauldron","Grass", "Season's Cycle", "1,000 Umbrellas".

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
Martha Washington said:
I was just the right age for Badfinger. "No Matter What" really schnookered me.

Yeah, I like Badfinger too....sad story of what happened to them but great songs!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online