Tell us about your stereo!

MetalHippie

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
So long as you can feel the groove, right? Thanks, by the way.

Right on brotha! I wish I could afford better equipment, but 4 credit cards and other bills won't let me. I really get into music, but I'm not what you would call an audiophile. As long as it sounds good to me, that's all that matters. "Feeling the groove" as you put it is the bottom line no matter what equipment we have.

wisertime

Keep on Truckin'
Reaction score
I wish I could afford better equipment...

I had the Yamaha from new in '93 and a couple years ago, over about a year, I got the other gear. It was fun traveling around meeting folks and buying or bartering for the stuff. Like the Sony, I did a job for someone and she went and bought the receiver from a guy on craigslist. Wicked. I got the HK free and it's so sweet. I bought another Yamaha and a Layfayette from the guy so he threw it in. Heh. Sold that yamaha and have the Layfayette in storage for now. The HK is in the garage.

Got the TT ($60 and then I upgraded the cartridge and stylus) from a guy on craigslist to replace my wicked tired Dual (scored when I was maybe 22 for $40 from a guy with an antique shop) and paid like $90 total for the 2 tape decks as my old Denon was no longer cutting it. I got other gear that I sold or still have in various stages of ...well, I wanted to say repair but we both know that's not the truth, ha ha ha. Either gifted or traded for or bought for low money.

Got KLH model 6 (just wonderful speakers) from a trade about 13 years ago - garage to garage. Paid $50 for the MOnitor 5's (sweet!) and too much ($100) for the Nova 8b's, but I love them, still.

It was a lot of fun finding the gear, overhauling it, and using all of it in different combos to find my favorite sound. I know I will go for other gear soon enough. As soon as I stop buying albums - those things add up!

MOney is a thing I don't have a lot of so the fun is in trying to find a thing I want, can afford, and still is awesome gear. Usually it's pick 2 out of the 3. :)

deerwan

Play It Loud
Reaction score
I'm old school when it comes to this topic, convenience and
portability aren't a priority when it comes to home gear. Ear buds
and mp3 are great at the gym or on a bike. I like it loud enough to
where not only can I get a good listen but I can feel the shake:
an AV Marantz receiver which powers a few speakers very well,
including some KEF Q5's as front mains, some Morduant Short
bipolars as fills, and KEF Q1's as front center and back center.
Then there's the hsu sub which is a secret weapon of sorts. The
transport is a Marantz also.

Nearly a decade of enjoyment on this system which took some time
to map properly and it provides great sound, no fatigue, both live and
studio with a 'sweetspot' midrange (KEF signature). All studio is
listened to in stereo only, but it does pick up the subwoofer signal
which adds separation and depth. All live performances usually go
through Circle II Music (6 speakers) w/ sub, which sounds pretty
good. -25db is about as high as my room and listening capacity will take.

It is startling even after all these years how good it still sounds,
and how my ears are holding out. I'm a fortunate son, I am.
The Dead show I'm listening to sounds really nice, the wine is
almost better. LOL

wisertime

Keep on Truckin'
Reaction score
Yeah, those KEF's are known for their midrange. Back in my 20's I bought a pair of KEF q-15 bookshelf speakers and I loved them (although I'm not huge into the midrange much now). They had that 'uni-Q' design with the tweeter in the woofer. I sold them to a kid a couple years ago - still in minty shape - but they served me well. I had them mated to the yammy 595 and an older Pioneer 780.

I have a yammy RX-V861 A/V receiver in the living room which sounds surprisingly nice even though I have them mated with very small Energy Classic 5.1's - before Energy was sold. The sub is fine and the speakers are surprising - the house can shake and the sound is still clear and nice. I am happy with this setup and it sounds very nice with albums and CD, too.

Every once in a while I swap out the receiver in my office. The yammy goes and the Sony STR-V5 comes into play, which is a monster, or the sweet, sweet HK 430, which is my favorite. Oh, man, the HK mated to KLH 6's or Polk monitor 5a is so beautiful.....There is a Layfayette LR5555a in the garage which I like, too, but I have to fix the popping sound in the right channel. I wanted to give that one to my boy and the Technics 1300 turntable I need a tonearm balance knob for. Can't find the balance knob, though. What is always suggested is wrong.

What you write about fatigue is so spot on. I will visit a friend and hear their system and within minutes I am 'tired' of the sound. So many people just buy this or that, plug them in and 'love' the sound. Lol, how many people watch their HD tv's in 'short-and-fat' mode, too?

deerwan

Play It Loud
Reaction score
That is some good gear wisertime. The fatigue factor is so important. Many folks
complain about the live sound not sounding good or remasters being a problem
(sometimes very true), but if the equip is substandard, what do you expect, right?

I have an old Yamaha AV receiver before the digital age came in. It's still going,
but don't listen to that system much anymore. That one has some JBL bookshelves
a Boston Acoustic center speaker and some Clearfield Vortex bipolar mains that were
protoypes and are huge and weighty. They still sound great though.

wisertime

Keep on Truckin'
Reaction score
Heh, I could talk audio gear and sound all day long. Hell, I want to pop in a cassette right now just to use the Pioneer CT-F900 in my office I drove 50 miles to get. That journey I took with my boy makes this tape deck the best one I ever had. ;)

Closeup pic is today and the other is some months ago - in my office.

Attachments

• P1310102_640.jpg
    P1310102_640.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 45
  • P1310832_640.jpg
    P1310832_640.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Closeup pic is today and the other is some months ago - in my office.

Very cool setup. Diff. something you would find in a mancave.

Well since it's been a long time since I posted about my set up, I have improved it for sure. I recently bought a vintage set of Utah Loudspeakers and found a pair of Bose 301's at a estate sale.
I picked up some old world war II ammo boxes that held huge artillery shells that were made out of red oak and made a real nice shelf that holds all my gear and LP's. All 4,690 vinyls, CD's and cassettes.
I now have 4 amps. 3 CD players 2 cassette players and 2 Numark T-1400 direct drive turntables and a Numark mixing board to handle all the componants.
So I push 6 speakers total. Gotta play it load if I want to play along on my Bass and drums..
I'll try and get a picture on here but I don't use any hosting sites. :huh:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviraPeth

Staff online

Members online