Tell us about your stereo!

taha

Reaction score
So, my buddy asks me to take a look at his 80's Sansui AU7700 int.amp. Damn thing is pretty cool and the reviews said it was very sweet in the day. I do a little panel work and find the preamp fuses are blowing, chit. bad news. My first thought is the diode pack. So I get lucky and find the service manual on line and sure enough, replace the diodes AND the caps AND the Transistors. crap. Good news tho, only 20 bucks and we're in business, bad news they don't make the same parts anymore , subs are available tho. More bad news, the thing is a TANK. It's going to take longer to tear it down and put it back together than all the testing and parts research. And the really bad news I read where people have done this work and some work others still don't........hmm what to do
(ps this thread is to cool not to have a STICKY thread :) )

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
@taha

That's the reality of dealing with vintage gear, finding parts can be a major headache and if you can't then the substitutes don't always give the same sound as the originals did. But it's a labour of love at least to me it is, I paid $500 for a fully refurbished Yamaha CA-1010 a while ago, and it sounds just like the original and is good to go for another 20 years.

Good luck with your rebuild.:D

taha

Reaction score
Had an old Yamy Amp, built like a tank, sounded excellent, so what do I do,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,give it to by bro in law. HA !
Parts for the Sansui are copies, so I'm worried about tolerances ratings in voltage and power. They make them close but not exact. Probably why some guys have success and others don't. Just wish I could find the ones that work better than others.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Had an old Yamy Amp, built like a tank, sounded excellent, so what do I do,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,give it to by bro in law. HA !
Parts for the Sansui are copies, so I'm worried about tolerances ratings in voltage and power. They make them close but not exact. Probably why some guys have success and others don't. Just wish I could find the ones that work better than others.

Seems to be a lot easier to find parts for speakers than old vintage amps/receivers and there are some really good companies that specialize in making replacement parts that in some cases are improvements over the originals.

taha

Reaction score
Seems to be a lot easier to find parts for speakers than old vintage amps/receivers and there are some really good companies that specialize in making replacement parts that in some cases are improvements over the originals.

IT WORKS, one hard to find rect. diode, 2 fuses and a good cleaning and the old mother f'n Sansui works. :woot:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
IT WORKS, one hard to find rect. diode, 2 fuses and a good cleaning and the old mother f'n Sansui works. :woot:

Congrats it's always nice to bring a vintage piece of equipment back to life. :tup:

Pinkxmurder

Rocker in soul
Reaction score
cr73-3pa.jpeg

Retro looking turntable, can also read cd and cassette
pretty usefull and I liked the style
I also have one in this kind $_35.jpg My mother has it and gave it to me.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
cr73-3pa.jpeg

Retro looking turntable, can also read cd and cassette
pretty usefull and I liked the style
I also have one in this kind $_35.jpg My mother has it and gave it to me.

I remember the old consoles, my Aunt and Uncle had a really nice one back in the mid-70's, I took my BTO, Deep Purple and Steppenwolf albums over and cranked it up...both of them thought I was going to end up a metal head or worse...:oyea:

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
Consoled...

My dad had that table size component. I used to play his Beatles and Ventures LPs on it. I've come across restored pieces at the local swap meet. The sellers had it equipped with updated needles and speakers. Modernized in a sense. They sound very good. Nostalgic yet cumbersome...

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online