Tell us about your stereo!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^If I were to decide to buy new it very interesting to go with something like that. it could have up side. I think the sound it produces is very promising and overall it's and intriguing AMP.

check out the internals looks a lot different from the pure solid state stuff. Six transistors each side directly connected to those giant heat syncs. That is So Cool!
vincent_inside.jpg

I do have a concern with those input tubes being soldered in. Even if I have soldering experience :)

it's definitively either that or the Halo if I were to go new. The Halo A21 is the sure thing for an AMP in that price range.

Jim

^^Looks great Jim, I love opening the case and peering inside at the innards of audio equipment.

So you are leaning towards the Para right now then...:hm:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Thought about posting this in the Wax thread, but it's more of an equipment topic. Was playing one of my all time favorite Classical Music albums "Stravinsky's Firebird Suite" on the Telarc label and it's a little dirty. I was using the Technics table with my Grado Black and it sounded fine.....right up the very last tympani part, then it made a bzzzt sound instead of the massive drum percussion that's recorded. It made me laugh because this album was legendary back in the day for testing your gear, especially your cartridge and it even warns you on the sleeve to play it at modest levels until you know your equipment is up to the task...:gig

Anyway, I put it on my Thorens/Dynavector and it played without a problem, have to clean it again though classical has so many quiet parts any small glitch is a distraction.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I never knew that about Live At Leeds...does the CD have the same crackles recorded George? I never bought that one on vinyl and when I saw the deluxe 2 CD set released a couple years ago I wasn't tempted to get it, the original concert is enough for me.

I have another Telarc vinyl album I'll be playing this week, the most amazing analog music record I've ever owned "Tchaikovsky's 1812", now this baby will destroy a pair of speakers if you are careless. I'll post the results after I listen to it, I cleaned it so now it's time to check the quality.

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
Cracking the case...

^^I never knew that about Live At Leeds...does the CD have the same crackles recorded George? I never bought that one on vinyl and when I saw the deluxe 2 CD set released a couple years ago I wasn't tempted to get it, the original concert is enough for me.

I have another Telarc vinyl album I'll be playing this week, the most amazing analog music record I've ever owned "Tchaikovsky's 1812", now this baby will destroy a pair of speakers if you are careless. I'll post the results after I listen to it, I cleaned it so now it's time to check the quality.
The comment was on the label of the record.

2656795908_a3f0d0d169.jpg

I haven't compared it to the CD. I reckon they were talking about the distortion and feedback off Townshend's guitar amps.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^That and the equipment to record live shows wasn't that good back then as well. That's a cool picture, thanks for posting it.:hab:

mrJim

Reaction score
That is a cool label. noise OK do not correct.. that's great.

I don't keep a lot of live stuff as I tend to fairly particular about... it's either on or off I like it or I don't and its not always about quality.

Also, I do have to get some classical stuff, I just have never gotten that into the collection. it would probably would sound pretty cool and put the equipment to the test.

Jim

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I'm the same as you Jim, I don't have many 'live' recordings in my collection but the ones I do have I Really like a lot.:D

There are a lot of excellent classical albums out there, Telarc was such a great label pioneering recording technology and their vinyl albums were all excellent. They did release most of their catalog on CD, and they are very good......but are missing the 'feel' of the vinyl.

Mercury Living Presence was another top notch label, they usually recorded their symphony orchestras on 35mm magnetic tape, I bought a collectors edition from Soundstage Direct a couple years ago, 5 superb recordings some of which were done around the time I was born. Quality does last in some instances.:bow:

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
Left Home...

Finally got rid of my Mirage S8 subwoofer with it's humming sound even if it was turned off. Didn't see the point of fixing it and spending $$$. Also gone is an old Yamaha 100 CD changer. For whatever reason, it would not go past Disc 7...just go to 1 instead.

Did not want to dump them both in the bin so both went to Goodwill. Maybe whoever picks them up will fix each. Thought about selling on eBay as "just for parts" but to deal with the hassles and make only a few to little profit wasn't worth it.

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I still have my old Mirage subwoofer, I looked into trying to get a new plate amplifier but it's hopeless, the designs have changed and it's about 16 years old. I'm using it as a stand for my printer right now.:heheh:

Depending on what it is I do the same as you and just give away some old gear, if I know people are looking for parts then I'll list it on a couple of vintage boards that I've done business on.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online