Tell us about your stereo!

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
What kinda headphones do y'all use?

I use Skull Candy Aviators. They have a pretty decent sound to them, however after a few weeks the cord started to short out a little. As of right now they still work perfectly, but short out a little if I move the cord by the plug-in part.

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
I use Skull Candy Aviators. They have a pretty decent sound to them, however after a few weeks the cord started to short out a little. As of right now they still work perfectly, but short out a little if I move the cord by the plug-in part.
I forgot...I do have headphones for my iPod which I use when I am working on my lawn or at the gym. Interesting part about that is when it is at a weakened state [i.e. needs recharging]...I notice that the sound quality isn't as pronounced. All of the songs on it are not compressed as much so it doesn't have that much capacity though it is still a lot.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
You mean your amp has something like these Slip?

4191369340.jpg

If that's what they look like then I would use banana plugs, preferably the gold coated ones that is what I use on almost all of my gear if possible.

high-quality_copper_speaker_banana_blugs_open_screw_type_0.jpg

The only speaker connection I don't have are "Balanced" inputs, that is an entirely new level and I've never owned anything that had those. I have thought about it but am happy playing in the upper midrange of audio gear, the really expensive stuff is like a Ferrari, you pay so much for modest improvements I just could never justify that kind of investment, if money was no object that would be a different story.:heheh:

Yes LG.. That would be the type of speaker plug in my amp has. So these banana clips plug into the back of the speaker jack? Do they come already wired? I wouldn't want to attempt to connect wire to those.

When you decide to buy speaker wires...check out Monoprice or Blue Jeans Cable. The former has great prices on any sort of item you need for audio and video. The reason I went with BJC is that I was looking for larger gauge. Likely reasonable shipping and NO tax for you.

Thanks gcczep.. I'll look into the site you mentioned :cheers2

I don't use headphones anymore, but I did have a nice pair of Sennheiser's years ago, the open air lightweight design and they lasted me a long time.

senn_hd414_1.jpg

Oh man LG.. I remember trying those headphones out when they came out. Totally fell in love with the design and weight, plus the sound was totally awesome!! I've been trying to find a pair when I'm out looking at new gear. Trouble is, now days, you have to order stuff like those on the internet. But like you, I don't listen to my headphones any more. I'm liberated now and can blast my system when ever I like. No one here to complain about the noise!! :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I'm afraid that you would have to solder the speaker wire into the banana plugs Slip, I've done it so many times it's routine. I simply "tin" the ends of the speaker wire/cable, mount the banana plugs in a small vice and insert the ends of the wire, use just enough solder to make a firm connection and voila, you are done.

There might be some banana plugs that you just screw in the wire without soldering but I have never used those. Maybe George has some alternatives he can offer.

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
Yes LG.. That would be the type of speaker plug in my amp has. So these banana clips plug into the back of the speaker jack? Do they come already wired? I wouldn't want to attempt to connect wire to those.
^The banana plugs that I use are made by GLS Audio. They are simple to use and solid. There is no soldering required unless you decide to anyway. The wire strands are held in place by screws. You just have to take some caution with them given their minute size as they can fall off.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I've always soldered mine George, it's not that hard and then I know they are solid as a rock. But it is good to know there are other options for people who might not want to bother doing that.

CREAM'd

Reaction score
It has been a while LG :cheers2

I bought these Sennheiser's Sennheiser HD650 Reference Headphone: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics a few months ago and I'm very happy with them.
I can't crank the volume up because I have quite bad Tinnitus, but the quality of the sound is the best I've experienced with any headphone.

I use these screw on Bananna plugs Fisual Easy Fix Banana Plugs - 4 Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
And this speaker cable on my Stereo QED-Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable, 1m: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Last edited:

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
^I looked up those banana connections. They look simple yet quite nice. It is just two components to assemble it as opposed to three sections for my GLS ones. Same with the speaker cable. Very stylish. Though it does not specify the gauge [maybe I misread it in the specs] I'm assuming it would be 16 to 14.

CREAM'd

Reaction score
Hi gcczep, I'm not too sure what Gauge it is.
The banana plugs are well made and the screws are quite thick and sturdy, holds the cable very well, there would be no chance of it coming loose.

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
Hi gcczep, I'm not too sure what gauge it is. The banana plugs are well made and the screws are quite thick and sturdy, holds the cable very well, there would be no chance of it coming loose.
It would be how the thickness of the copper strands together is measured. The lower the number the thicker the gauge. Nevertheless, it looks to have garnered great reviews. For a pure two channel set-up, it appears to be a worthwhile investment. Good to see you making the rounds again...

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online