Survivor lead singer Jimi Jamison has died

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hello friends: It is with a heavy heart that I announce my good friend and fellow rocker Jimi
Jamison has passed away at the young age of 63. This one is especially hard for me as he was a brother to me and I loved him dearly. I am in shock right now as I'm sure many who knew Jimi are. We will miss his huge heart and beautiful smile, not to mention his awesome voice and great song writing talent. I'm gonna miss you buddy. We are all gonna miss you......Mike Reno

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
melodicrock.com

JIMI JAMISON R.I.P.

August 23, 1951 - August 31, 2014

I'm really getting tired of this. Another legend has left us. But even more so, another great human being has gone. Another one of the good guys. Why is it always the good guys?

I can barely gather the strength to write as I soak up a soundtrack of songs that have shaped my life.

Jimi Jamison was one of several singers that I grew up worshipping. His music, the songs he sang on, from his solo work to the emotion changed anthems and ballads of the mighty Survivor.

I grew up listening to Survivor. Thankfully I never grew out of that. There is rarely a week where some form of Jimi's vocals don't bless my ears.

In most cases the lyrics and music was written by others, but in every case, it was that emotional, powerful, dominating force that was Jimi's voice that made those songs come to life.

It's the singer, not the song...

I cannot live without music. At the various times of difficulty in my life I turn to the music I need to hear to make it better. Jimi Jamison was a major part of that. I know I'm not alone in that sentiment.

As I have stated before, I am in a privileged position to be able to talk to many of the artists that I grew up and continue to listen to, admire and yes�worship.

There is an unspeakable joy when that legend you admire also turns out to be a heck of a nice guy. Jimi was one of those. Beyond the call of duty always.

I can't even begin to count the number of favors he has done for me and this site over the years.
He was always first in line to contribute to the CDs I put together. He didn't hesitate at the idea to put together the tracks that didn't make his awesome album with Jim Peterik onto what would become the very first MelodicRock Records release.

Jimi signed off on using the song "As Is" for the last MRCD only weeks ago.

Jimi was one of the first guys I called when it was first decided to do a MelodicRockFest event. He and Jim Peterik were among the special guests at MRF1. He was amazing of course.
So he got a call for MRF2. And MRF3 with Mecca. I couldn't do an event without calling him and he was lined up to appear at MRF4 this year before Survivor duties pulled him elsewhere.

But I got to spend a lot of time with him over the course of those 3 events and you know what? He didn't take one cent for doing any of them. He didn't want a fee. He just wanted to be part of the event and help support the site. "Just tell me where and when" he used to say.

I can't thank him enough for his generosity, his time and his spirit that he brought to the stage.
The very first event I did in 2007, I was riding with Jim Peterik to South Bend to do some pre-show publicity and Jim pulled out a CDR and said "I've got something for you to hear".

It was the first take demo of the song "Crossroads Moment". Jim and Jimi were finally working together again. Jim was so excited. I was instantly floored by it. Another lyric that grabbed my heart, delivered with a vocal so clear and sweet that I knew immediately it would be an all-time favourite from Jimi. Since the first time hearing it, that song has become another important part of my life and I'm glad I got to tell him that.

Thankfully I, and everyone else that is a fan of Jimi - whether it be as a solo artist or with Survivor, Jim Peterik, Cobra, Target, Bobby Kimball, Mecca, Scrap Metal, One Man's Trash...we will always have those songs and that voice to keep us going. So many songs...

As I reflect upon a loss I find hard to accept, the music of Jimi will be playing all day. I expect that will be the same for many today as he is a guy that has touched the hearts of so many.

Mine was one of them. Love ya Jimi. Say g'day to Fergie for me.

~ Andrew McNeice, September 2014.

Jim Peterik: "I've feel like I've just been punched in the heart. I have lost a dear friend and the world has lost a massive talent and world beating singer. Shine on Jimi. Love Jim Peterik"

Joe Vana (Mecca): "I just talked to him last week...he sounded good...tired, but good...he always was....always working and loved his fans....was the real deal....one of my 3 mentors in Survivor....I hope and pray my other 2 can come together and do something special in his name....he looked up to those guys so much...and to hear all the fun stories of his long career makes me cry...this is a hole that will not be ever filled....he was everything he seemed to be...passionate, honest, loyal and talented beyond belief...the Mecca family has lost Fergie and now Jimi the past few months....and the world has lost an immense person....Jimi, give Fergie a hug for me.....love you...Jo Jo...."

Kip Winger: "R.I.P Jimi Jamison. A brilliant singer and a beautiful soul. We'll miss you Jimi. God Speed."

Jack Blades: "I am deeply saddened to hear of the passing of Jimi. He not only had a beautiful voice, but a beautiful spirit as well. I will miss his smiling face and his friendship. Shine on Jimi."

Brian Howe: "Still struggling to get over the news of Jimi Jamison. We will never share a stage again...........sad."

Howie Simon: "Very sorry to hear about the passing of Jimi Jamison. Just saw him perform recently and he sounded as amazing as ever. Condolences to all his friends, family , and fans. It's a big loss..."

Vic Rivera (Adriagale): "I'm stunned that my friend Jimi Jamison apparently passed way yesterday from a heart attack. He was a great person and a one-of-a kind singer. Debby and I are shocked and saddened beyond words. Rest in peace, Jimi. You will be sorely missed."

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The band KANSAS, on the untimely death of Jimi Jamison, wishes to extend our deepest sympathies to our friends in the band Survivor, to Jimi’s family, and to all who knew him well. He will be missed.

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just now ·
Jimi Jamison was a friend and I represented him in Survivor a couple of times. My good friend Fred Franchi was the bands tour manager until Fred passed away last year. Jimi could sing like no other " he could sing the phone book" as they say. He was a father and a good friend to many of us. I believe I first met him back in the seventies when his original band Target opened for Outlaws and 38 Special at the Spectrum in Philadelphia and that's when a bunch of us heard that powerful voice for the 1st time. I last saw Jimi at the Rock to the Rescue benefit in Bloomington last Dec. Jimi and Frankie and Survivor were always there by our sides for the RTTR on those special nights. He was a very special guy and will be missed by all that ever met him or heard that wonderful voice. RIP my friend. You are already missed by all of us.-STYX

GoogaMooga

Reaction score
RIP to a great AOR frontman. i never delved deeper than eye of the tiger, and it is sad that it takes a death to remind me of this neglect. eye of the tiger blasted out of rocky iii and i found it the perfect training song, sort of a "gonna fly now" for the 80s.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrelDeSa

Members online