Sturgill Simpson

CurtRHCP

Reaction score
Hi,

I discovered this guy, Sturgill Simpson, on bandcamp, there's already a lot of articles about this guy, it's incredible because he only has 2 albums, one in 2013 and a brand new one this year called "Metamodern Sounds In Country Music".

His new album
rgill-simpson-metamodern-sounds-in-country-music-1.jpg

Link to listen it :
Metamodern Sounds In Country Music | Sturgill Simpson

I searched on the forum, but found nothing, if I'm wrong, sorry if you already open a topic about Sturgill Simpson.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I gave it a single listen on Spotify and I like it thus far. I've ordered it through Amazon already. Sounds legitimately like older Country kind of in the outlaw vein. Either way it sounds more like Country than anything labeled Country today. I plan on listening more once it gets to my mailbox. :grinthumb

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
One of the best and most authentic contemporary male country artists out there. He definitely has more country street cred, than most of his peers, at least from a musical perspective. I have both his albums and highly recommend both!

CurtRHCP

Reaction score
Either way it sounds more like Country than anything labeled Country today.

Exactly what I thought!

I used to go on Bandcamp and find new bands, because I'm into Neil Young/old music (and as you can see through my avatar, I'm firstly a Chili Peppers fan :D).
I really like music from 50 to 80/90, generally music after the 90's are... It's just not music anymore but sounds IMO.

Well, Sturgill Simpson is... an asteroid. At least I know there's still people doin' great traditional music. That's real country. The musicians are really good and his voice is awesome!
I think I'll order his 2 albums.

Randy1961

King Of Floriduh
Reaction score
Sturgill Simpson is the real deal!

Love both his albums and looking forward to more!

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Finally have had the album arrived and have settled in for a few listens! I really like the cover and it surprised me as it was completely unexpected. I never looked at the track list before. "The Promise" is a one hit wonder track that I never heard before Anberlin did a great but straight rock take on it. Hearing it in an old rustic vein Country great! I really could hear it settle into that genre easily like he wrote it or one of his influences from Waylon to Willie! :grinthumb

The Promise

And I love his all out psychedelic rock on the closing track! :grinthumb

It Ain't All Flowers

Last edited:

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Sturgill will release a new album on April 15th called "A Sailor's Guide to Earth". Oh boy, oh boy! :woot:

Track list:

Welcome to Earth (Pollywog)
Breakers Roar
Keep It Between the Lines
Sea Stories
In Bloom
Brace for Impact (Live a Little)
All Around You
Oh Sarah
Call to Arms

I can't wait to see a bigger version of the artwork, because judging by the preview version, it's stunning!

Attachments

• sturgill-simpson-a-sailors-guide-to-earth.jpg
    sturgill-simpson-a-sailors-guide-to-earth.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 8

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online