Soul to Soul (1985)
Live Alive (1986)
In Step (1989)
Family Style (with Jimmie Vaughan) (1990), produced by Nile Rodgers
The Sky Is Crying (1991)
In the Beginning (1992)
Greatest Hits (1995)
Live at Carnegie Hall (1997)
The Real Deal: Greatest Hits Volume 2 (1999)
In Session (with Albert King) (1999)
Blues at Sunrise (2000)
SRV: Box Set (2000)
Live at Montreux 1982 & 1985 (2001)
The Essential Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble (2002)
Martin Scorsese Presents the Blues: Stevie Ray Vaughan (2003)
The Real Deal: Greatest Hits Volume 1 (2006)
Solos, Sessions & Encores (2007)
Couldn't Stand the Weather (Legacy Edition) (2010)

In Sept of 1983, Stevie Ray Vaughn & Double Trouble pulled into the Hollywood Palace on Vine St, for what I believe was their LA debut.

The Palace was right out the front door & across the street from my guitar shop Visions Music, on the corner of Hwd & Vine.

Stevie Ray had just recently quit David Bowie’s band, after playing on the break-out hit “Let’s Dance”. Prior to that, Stevie was primarily a regional artist mostly known in Texas. His short gig with David Bowie is what propelled him into becoming an internationally recognized star attraction.

I had read about Stevie mostly in Rolling Stone; he was too much of a Blues artist to get much publicity in magazines like Circus & Creem & Hit Parader & Rock Scene, etc.

Almost every guitar slinger from the nearby Hollywood Guitar Institute was on hand to observe up close the new guitar phenomenon, who really was completely counter to the typical Eddie Van Halen / Randy Rhoads 2-hand tappers that were graduating en masse from the Institute.

Stevie was one of those Old-School guys who wrapped his thumb all the way around the neck, like Hendrix & Clapton, as opposed to the new guys who were taught the so-called “proper way” with the wrist up high & the thumb directly under the fretboard.

Even back then, I was one of a very few still around who had actually seen Hendrix perform live, in Feb of ’68…& I was immediately struck by how much Stevie Ray copied & emulated Jimi…from the flamboyant way he dressed, to his tone, to the actual material he was playing.

It seemed like a very substantial portion of the set was devoted to Hendrix songs like Voodoo Chile, which Stevie was pretty faithful to. I remember thinking that @ that time, he was a little short on original material, & was veering towards being almost a Tribute act.

Of course, as his career progressed, Stevie proved that he was a very talented writer as well as gun slinger extraordinaire.

Did anybody else ever see Stevie before he died?​

Last edited by a moderator:

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Re: Stevie Ray Vaughn

I believe Stevie Ray Vaughan was a fantastic guitar player and it was a shame he passed away befor he could make more albums. Sadly I missed him playing live and kick myself for not going to see him. I love the track, "Mary had a little lamb"

Mary Had a Little Lamb

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

My biggest musical regret!?

I had tickets to the Clapton/SRV/Robert Cray concert. Well, I SHOULD have had them, but I turned them down. Story recap. I was living in Minneapolis, not long after college at UW-LaCrosse. I was down there one weekend in a bar getting drunk (as I liked to do). Along comes the girl I had been on/off dating for about a year. She owed me money (from loans I had given her). She says "I have 4 tickets to Clapton and SRV next month. Do you want them?".

Me... being the drunk dumbass that I was, thought it out for a second. Lemme see, she still owes me about $500. The tickets are worth $150. The concert is on a Sunday. So, I'll likely have to do this: sell 3 of the tickets, keep one for myself. Drive all the way across wisconsin with 3 of my drinking buddies in -my- car (since I had the pimped out ride and no one else did). We'll go to the concert and more than likely crash there because we'll have drank too much to drive all the way across WI that night. So, we'll get up monday morning, drive all the way across WI to drop those guys off, then have a 180 mile drive back to Minneapolis and have to be ready for work by 3pm and more than likely with a hangover.

So, I turned to her and said, "nah, I want my money instead."

The concert: August 26th, 1990. Alpine Valley, WI.
(The second of two shows that weekend in East Troy.)
The billing: Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Robert Cray.
The Encore: All three of them, along with Jimmie Vaughan and Buddy Guy jamming for about 20 minutes on the last encore. I have read stories that it was some of the most inspiring and incredible playing SRV ever did. I think it was Sweet Home Chicago (jam session version of course) that they were playing.

I got up on Monday morning (the 27th of Aug) and turned on the TV. There were reports all over MTV.... "SRV dies in helicopter crash following a concert at Alpine Valley". I damn near cried. :wa:

Regrets?! Yah I've got a few. That one though. That's the worst one.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

Currently listening to Texas Flood. What a great album.

Now playing: Tin Pan Alley (AKA Roughest Place in Town)

As good as every song on this album is, this one always gets to me. Very souful, very bluesy. Just a great song from the first note to the last. I've heard several live versions of this song as well some being up to about 12 minutes long. Always a treat to hear SRV play this one.

RIP Stevie, I miss ya!

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score

Love SRV!!

Did you look at the Davey Knowles thread I put up yesterday? I've seen him perfrom a couple of times and he is awesome!!

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online