Stevie Ray Vaughan (Official Thread)

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score
My biggest musical regret!?

I had tickets to the Clapton/SRV/Robert Cray concert. Well, I SHOULD have had them, but I turned them down. Story recap. I was living in Minneapolis, not long after college at UW-LaCrosse. I was down there one weekend in a bar getting drunk (as I liked to do). Along comes the girl I had been on/off dating for about a year. She owed me money (from loans I had given her). She says "I have 4 tickets to Clapton and SRV next month. Do you want them?".

Me... being the drunk dumbass that I was, thought it out for a second. Lemme see, she still owes me about $500. The tickets are worth $150. The concert is on a Sunday. So, I'll likely have to do this: sell 3 of the tickets, keep one for myself. Drive all the way across wisconsin with 3 of my drinking buddies in -my- car (since I had the pimped out ride and no one else did). We'll go to the concert and more than likely crash there because we'll have drank too much to drive all the way across WI that night. So, we'll get up monday morning, drive all the way across WI to drop those guys off, then have a 180 mile drive back to Minneapolis and have to be ready for work by 3pm and more than likely with a hangover.

So, I turned to her and said, "nah, I want my money instead."

The concert: August 26th, 1990. Alpine Valley, WI.
(The second of two shows that weekend in East Troy.)
The billing: Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Robert Cray.
The Encore: All three of them, along with Jimmie Vaughan and Buddy Guy jamming for about 20 minutes on the last encore. I have read stories that it was some of the most inspiring and incredible playing SRV ever did. I think it was Sweet Home Chicago (jam session version of course) that they were playing.

I got up on Monday morning (the 27th of Aug) and turned on the TV. There were reports all over MTV.... "SRV dies in helicopter crash following a concert at Alpine Valley". I damn near cried. :wa:

Regrets?! Yah I've got a few. That one though. That's the worst one.

I live in Anchorage Alaska. Back in July 24th of 1990 (one of his last shows) he played up here but I didnt go. I wasnt a fan of SRV, they played his songs every 6 minutes on the radio and we were all sick to death of him, and I was a big metalhead and wasnt into blues rock at the time. So I didnt go. He died a month later. Didnt regret it at the time but as the years go by, it's one of my top concert no-shows that I regret not attending. Probably the biggest.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
There are a handful of musicians for whom I would gladly have sold Sweaty's soul to see live .. for the most part I have seen the ones from my list but along with Jimi, SRV heads the cast of those I'd do a deal for. What a legend.

Tightrope

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Soundcheck 1986

"Stevie just waking up then warming up. Insane how good can you really be that tired? Original Source: This was filmed Jan 1986 by Greg Savage of Savage Guitar Design and is used with permission.

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
I'm kind of bummed that Double Trouble was not included, but still....

Stevie Ray Vaughan has been nominated for the 2015 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Please cast your vote for SRV at RockHall.com. The top five artists, as selected by the public, will comprise a fans’ ballot that will be tallied along with the other ballots to choose the 2015 inductees. SRV's nomination does not include Double Trouble.

Stevie Ray Vaughan Nominated For Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame - Vote For SRV! | Stevie Ray Vaughan | The Official Stevie Ray Vaughan Site

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
I'm kind of bummed that Double Trouble was not included

I would not be the least bit surprised if this was 'the board's' petty little way of wielding their *ahem* power in retaliation for KISS' very vocal questioning of the RARHOF's process

SRV isn't around to tell them to go scratch and they know that. Slimy weasels.

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Staff online

Members online