Starz (Official Thread)

huppophonic

Reaction score
Re: Starz

Hi Everyone,

I'm totally new here. I didn't even know this forum existed until abut 10 minutes ago. I stumbled in here while doing one of those endless wandering around the internet things that I'm sure all of us do now and again.

I registered to throw in my memories of Starz and blow my horn a tiny bit. I was a teenager into most of the same bands you guys were into in the 70s, Aerosmith, KISS, Angel, Thin Lizzy, UFO, Queen, BOC, etc etc. I also bought the first Starz LP when it came out, based on the cover illustration and the names of the songs, the way I bought a lot of music back before you could hear it before you bought it (remember those days?) I was immediately a fan and was also a fan of Rex, Micheal Lee Smith's brother's band before he became a teen idol.

Imagine my excitement when my local venue, the Springfield (Mass) Civic Center announced a concert with Starz opening for Aerosmith! I've seen Aerosmith 7 times, all before 1978, but still caught them whenever they were in town. I was there, right up front as always. I took pictures, which you can find posted here:

Fuzzy Concert Photos From the 70s ---- STARZ

The Aerosmith pics from the same show and some other stuff from that era are linked there, too.

After seeing them, I wrote to the band, telling them that apart from "that superstar feeling", they were every bit as exciting to see as Aerosmith. Much to my surprise, I got a handwritten postcard back from Michael Lee Smith, further along in the tour (in TX I think) saying "That Superstar feeling is on the way". I haven't seen that postcard in 25 or more years, but I never throw anything away, so maybe it will turn up again someday when I'm rummaging around at my Father's house. If I find it, I'll scan it and post it here.

As you can see on the page above, the story doesn't end there. I scanned those pics and put them up on the net a LONG time ago, probably the late 90s. I got an email from Richie Ranno that pretty much said "What's your problem?" because I put some snide stuff about how they didn't become "starz." I can see why that would bother him! In response I changed the page and linked to his Starz site and made him a little present. This:
starzlogo3.gif

I did it by scanning the cover of the first LP, then importing the image into Caligari TruSpace (a cool 3D rendering prog bought and killed by Microsoft) and virtually 'tracing' the contours of the logo, then turning into a 3D object and animating it spinning around. He liked the spinning logo enough that it became part of the 'official' Starz website. It's a great feeling for me to see that it's still bumping around the internet. I saw someone include it in a post farther up the thread.

Richie had turned over communication with me to his wife, who worked at a NY ad agency or something. She loved the logo and asked if I had any more stuff to show her as she might be able to get me some freelance work through her agency. I never got back to her on that since I have no confidence in my abilities and never follow through with anything. :rolleyes: Who knows where that might have led?

Anywho, I hope you like my pics. I saw most every popular band from that era, not just the ones in the pics. But pics were a lot harder to come by back then. Crappy little instamatic cameras with 110 film, it cost as much to develop the film as a concert ticket. Anyone else remember $4.50, $5.50 concert tickets for top bands? No wonder I don't go to concerts anymore!

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Great story Huppo and you can be well proud of your revolving STARZ logo which is SO COOL !! To have seen STARZ in their heyday with AEROSMITH I could only dream of......did you ever get to see REX aswell ?? .... Sigh

huppophonic

Reaction score

Nope, never got to see Rex, unfortunately. My first concert, in 1972 at age 12, was the original Alice Cooper Group (AC, Glen Buxton, Michael Bruce, Dennis Dunaway and Neal Smith), with the original Edgar Winter Group opening (EW, Ronnie Montrose, Dan Hartman and Chuck Ruff). The next one was in 1974, Grand Funk Railroad with Wet Willie opening, then a slew of them with Aerosmith, BOC (5X), Black Sabbath (2X)(I saw Van Halen open for BS in Cali in 1978), Allman Bros, J Geils, Gentle Giant, Yes, UFO, thin Lizzy/Queen, Boston, Cheap Trick (2X, once in a nightclub), KISS (5X), Deep Purple (w/ Coverdale/Hughes/Bolin), Dr John, Ted Nugent, ZZ Top, Bob Seeger, Angel, Gentle Giant, Lene Lovich, B52s, Buzzcocks, Pat Benatar (in a nightclub), Van Halen (2X with DLR), Devo, Iggy Pop, Rory Gallagher, Ramones (4X, my band opened for them once), Journey, Genesis (Phil Collins singing), Rush, Whitesnake (W/Steve Vai and Adrian Vanderburg), Motley Crue, The Cars, Elton John, John Denver, The JAmes Gang, Smithereens, TMBG, Ultravox, Uriah Heep, X, XTC, and probably lots more I can't remember off the top of my head.

It's a wonder I can still hear. :D

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Capital WOW !! Thats a very impressive list of bands you have seen Hup .....ANGEL for starters !
Ive got to ask you and the same applies to Slipn who also saw STARZ on the same bill as the mighty AEROSMITH .Which band rocked the most that night ? I guess it will be a close call as both are fantastic bands :grinthumb
Its good to have another STARZ fan on the forum :cheers2

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

More STARZ fans!! Cool huppophonic!! I've always loved that animated logo and it's nice to meet the person behind it. I have given the link to this thread to Michael Lee Smith to look at and I hope he liked it. :grinthumb

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Latest cd purchase ....yet another STARZ "LIVE" album ."Extended versions"....recorded Cleveland Ohio in 2004. Got to say this album [ like all the others ] ROCK !!!!

Attachments

• extended_versions_live_import-starz-16876090-frnt.jpg
    extended_versions_live_import-starz-16876090-frnt.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 28

yesfan2000

Reaction score
A local radio station used to play Fallen Angel off the first Starz lp. Colisuem Rock/It's a Riot was also a radio favorite...great songs!

As far as rarities go, I have that Starz - Live in Action cd. I also have a vinyl release titled Starz: Live at the Municipal Auditorium. I think both these releases were recorded around the same time (1978ish) as they both have them playing Colisuem Rock as part of a medley...but no segue into It's a Riot. Maybe they were still writing that song.

I also got a free copy of Violation, through a radio promotion with the local Record Hole (record shop). I bought the then new Status Quo Live lp (which also contained a bonus 45) and got Starz' Violation record on yellow vinyl...for free. I rode my younger brother's bicycle (and it was a stingray style bike!) about ten miles to get that deal.

Hup...very cool story on that Starz logo. Well done.

dave

ANTHEM

Reaction score
The vocalist dresses and moves a lot like freddie mercury.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online

No members online now.