Starz (Official Thread)

rtbuck

Reaction score
Wow...I went through all 6 pages of this thread twice only to find out that I only made 1 small lame comment shortly after I came on board here! I find this strange because I've always been a fan. I love all their albums but for me nothing tops 'Violation'. That album has everything...I love the two hits Cherry Baby & Sing it Shout it (excuse me one moment...ahh that's better...I had been listening to a best of Brian Setzer/Stray Cats playlist for about an hour and I just changed it to my "Top 30 Starz Playlist" & "She" is now cranking out!!) Okay...as I was saying....Violation!!. There always were/are certain songs that sound so awesome cranked up real loud on a good stereo & I'm not talking about fast hard rocking loud tunes...I'm talking about stuff like Magic Man by Heart...well I always felt Sing it shout it sounded so great cranked up. I love the sound of the drums & everything else on that tune. I really thought that tune really deserved to be much bigger than it was. To me it was a perfect single. So much more on that record though...songs like..."SUBWAY TERROR!!!!!" ( Wow, what a wild tune that is!) & the title track. My wife & I go grocery shopping on Saturday mornings and we're in the car about an hour or so and we always have a playlist on random going. About a month or so ago 2 weeks in a row "Cool One" came up & my wife never heard the tune & she loved it(she got a kick out of the lyrics about losing it in the popcorn box)

I do love all of their albums. That debut is phenomenal as well...I can't go on enough about them. I love X-ray Spex off of Attention Shoppers which I really thought coming off of Violation Attn. Shoppers was going to be the album that was going to really break them and Coliseum Rock's title track along with It's a Riot should've had them headlining Arenas!

I really don't know what happened with Starz & Angel. It seemed like both bands got coverage in magazines & both bands also had plenty of full color full page album ads in those magazines. It's weird (I may be wrong) but if memory serves me it seemed like Angel & Starz even had more magazine coverage than bands like Foreigner & Journey in the late 70's. The only thing is especially in Angel's case but Starz as well is that for some reason radio stations didn't give them any airplay. It makes me wonder if it had anything to do with their Kiss connection(Angel on Casablanca records & Starz under Aucoin management)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I agree with you Bucky, Starz had all the ingredients to be a lot more successful than they were...one of those weird anomalies that you just never understand where things went wrong.

govango

Reaction score
Bill Aucoin interview on "the Rock and Roll Geek Show" 11.8.2007 - YouTube

Hello. I am new to the forum, just found it last night. First thing I searched on was Starz.
I remember buying three albums in one trip. Heart's Dreamboat Annie, Boston's debut and Starz debut. Sadly Starz never made it to the same heights as the other two, but it is still the one album out of the three that I still listen to.
I have posted an interesting interview with Bill Aucoin where he talks about Kiss (of course) but also discusses Starz and Piper (another great band). Some interesting insights and I think worth the 45 minutes. The starz ppart starts around 6:40 into the interview.
I did get to see Angel once, with the Godz opening. An amazing show all around.

govango

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Must admit I fell off my chair when I saw this ! STARZ to play A.O.R Hard Rock Hell Festival in Wales next spring. On the bill F.M and Night Ranger. I have never seen STARZ but Im not going to spend a fortune on a festival where I only want to see one band !

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Can't you and Sweaty convince Starz to play at the local Pub Lou? ;)

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
:D Negotiations are in place LG ,we know STARZ go on about.."Good Ale we seek" I can just picture Sweaty and Sox taking Michael Lee Smith and the boys around the town ale houses and giving them some tips....:heheh:
Already told Sweaty about the festival....A.O.R not his scene. I had to smile at the STARZ website who said the festival was in Wales in England ! :D I don't think the Welsh would be happy with that statement :heheh:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I'd imagine the Welsh would be a little upset, as anyone who studies history knows...:D...the border between Wales and England had/has more castles per mile than anywhere else in the world, something about the English being bad neighbours back then from what Sox told me....:think:

:heheh:

Starz is a great hard rocking band, I don't know why Sweaty wouldn't want to see them...?

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online