Stand By Me: Ben E King Vs. John Lennon

well?

• Total voters

ecisgod

Reaction score
Thank you! :clap: What I noticed about you man is even when you like an artist you aren't loyal to every song by them and you stay objective. I'm not saying others aren't but it seems like I rarely ever see the soul or Motown originals win out over their covers. I mean Ben E. King actually even wrote the song so that's double cred. I know this is primarily a rock song but rarely ever do these covers keep the soul that the originals have. I like Lennon but mostly on his own material because it's written for his voice which is limited IMO. Definitely too limited for a more soulful and dynamic song like Stand By Me IMO! Glad to see the original in the lead! :grinthumb

I respect your opinion and thoughts but I strongly disagree with these comments. Lennon IMO has one of the best most versatile voices in music. I absolutely love his voice....I'm not saying that Ben E King doesn't have a nice voice but I would find it very difficult to put someone above Lennon! (IMO)

Shaz

Reaction score
I hadn't heard Ben E King's version for a few years so I listened carefully to both and I definitely prefer Lennon's version....and no, I'm not a huge Beatles fan.

King's version is too smooth for me. Lennon's is edgier and has more emotion, IMO. I also love the guitar work!

Exactly what I think. I much prefer Lennon's version :grinthumb

Džedaj

Groovy as hell.
Reaction score
Lennon. I just like his approach to this classic song, alhtough I love both very much.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Staff online

Members online