Stand By Me: Ben E King Vs. John Lennon

well?

• Total voters

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Never cared for the Lennon version .

Thank you! :clap: What I noticed about you man is even when you like an artist you aren't loyal to every song by them and you stay objective. I'm not saying others aren't but it seems like I rarely ever see the soul or Motown originals win out over their covers. I mean Ben E. King actually even wrote the song so that's double cred. I know this is primarily a rock song but rarely ever do these covers keep the soul that the originals have. I like Lennon but mostly on his own material because it's written for his voice which is limited IMO. Definitely too limited for a more soulful and dynamic song like Stand By Me IMO! Glad to see the original in the lead! :grinthumb

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Thank you! :clap: What I noticed about you man is even when you like an artist you aren't loyal to every song by them and you stay objective.
Much like you and Billy Corgen, er, I mean... uh.. I guess that doesn't work. :bonk:

:oyea:

Seriously, thanks. Glad you noticed this actually as it is true. I love a lot of the stuff the Beatles did. I acknowledge them as THE single most important band/group in the history of rock, but I certainly don't worship every aspect of them and that goes into their solo careers. I like a lot of all 4 members solo stuff and at the same time will be the first to admit I'm not impressed by a lot of it either.

:peek

I'm not saying others aren't but it seems like I rarely ever see the soul or Motown originals win out over their covers. I mean Ben E. King actually even wrote the song so that's double cred. I know this is primarily a rock song but rarely ever do these covers keep the soul that the originals have. I like Lennon but mostly on his own material because it's written for his voice which is limited IMO. Definitely too limited for a more soulful and dynamic song like Stand By Me IMO! Glad to see the original in the lead! :grinthumb

Well said. Lennon sounds like late-Beatles Lennon here, which is fine for some stuff but for Motown, it simply doesn't work (for me).

:cheers2

The Beatles

retired
Reaction score
Thank you! :clap: What I noticed about you man is even when you like an artist you aren't loyal to every song by them and you stay objective. I'm not saying others aren't but it seems like I rarely ever see the soul or Motown originals win out over their covers. I mean Ben E. King actually even wrote the song so that's double cred. I know this is primarily a rock song but rarely ever do these covers keep the soul that the originals have. I like Lennon but mostly on his own material because it's written for his voice which is limited IMO. Definitely too limited for a more soulful and dynamic song like Stand By Me IMO! Glad to see the original in the lead! :grinthumb

Its not that im unobjective or biased, but I'm not really a Motown kind of guy and Lennon's version is more rockin.

snowblue

Reaction score
I hadn't heard Ben E King's version for a few years so I listened carefully to both and I definitely prefer Lennon's version....and no, I'm not a huge Beatles fan.

King's version is too smooth for me. Lennon's is edgier and has more emotion, IMO. I also love the guitar work!

fielding

Reaction score
To me, originals always beat out the covers that ANY band/artists does of the song. I always prefer original songs over covers...maybe that's just me. Ben E. King it is for me...

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Members online

No members online now.