Songs that feature the "Be My Baby" drumbeat

Canadian Air Force

Reaction score
Be My Baby - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whether it was intentional or not, the drumbeat in that song has appeared in dozens of songs over the years. Some of them are more obvious, for example "You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth" by Meat Loaf and various Bruce Springsteen songs.

Wikipedia has a section on songs that used the drumbeat, but me and group of users on another forum have been finding other songs not mentioned that used the drumbeat.

Feel free to post songs that you think have the Be My Baby drumbeat ITT

:****:

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
The obvious one for me is Billy Joel 'Say Goodbye to Hollywood' ...but Billy has done a lot of sort of homage to the 50's and 60's things, in fact the whole Innocent Man album is a tribute to the stuff he grew up listening to as a kid, so I guarantee he meant this very respectfully to Phil Spector rather than as a rip-off. I'm struggling with the Springsteen songs, I thought I knew them all inside out but there's probably a couple staring me in the face that I can't just think of right now that use that beat, so I'll wait and see what anyone else comes up with.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Poison's "Cry Tough" off the Look What the Cat Dragged In album. The song intro is definitely the same drum intro:

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
I'll throw some Indie rock in! "Turn On Me" by The Shins uses the same drum beat, and the music altogether sounds similar throughout the song. I think I recognized it at first when I first listened to Wincing the Night Away but it took me a little while to trace it back to the Ronettes. Sort of one of those "I know this song, but I can't quite put my finger on it." music blonde moments. :)

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
The obvious one for me is Billy Joel 'Say Goodbye to Hollywood' ...but Billy has done a lot of sort of homage to the 50's and 60's things, in fact the whole Innocent Man album is a tribute to the stuff he grew up listening to as a kid, so I guarantee he meant this very respectfully to Phil Spector rather than as a rip-off. I'm struggling with the Springsteen songs, I thought I knew them all inside out but there's probably a couple staring me in the face that I can't just think of right now that use that beat, so I'll wait and see what anyone else comes up with.

The only one I know of is Glory Days, but there could be more. I know Ronnie and Bruce along with the E Street Band collaborated together though, so there could be more.

Bruce looks so sexy in this video. :flirt

Canadian Air Force

Reaction score
Bruce has a bunch, here's the list that we compiled on another forum

Bruce Springsteen - Gotta Get That Feeling
Bruce Springsteen - Glory Days
Bruce Springsteen - My Hometown
Bruce Springsteen - Night
Bruce Springsteen - Santa Claus Is Coming to Town
Bruce Springsteen - Someday (We'll Be Together)
Bruce Springsteen - Something in the Night

some of my finds

nobody disputed me on this, but I'm not sure if it qualifies

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
At least to my ears most of those Boss ones are quite subtle variations on Be My Baby rhythmically speaking, but I agree it's there, though I took it more literally to mean that you were looking for more of a genuine Wall of Sound type thing coming in right from the off, like in the Billy Joel track, in Glory Days it only comes in about half way through, but still, an interesting topic though!

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Members online