Songs That Exceed 10 Minutes

rtbuck

Reaction score
In this past year the Rolling Stones have started selling downloads of concerts via their Stones Archive Store. One show they released 'A Brussel's Affair' from 1973 has an unreal 12:53 version of "Midnight Rambler" which is a must hear. I always loved the song but this version is unbelivable in my opinion.

Someone already mentioned Neil Young's "Cowgirl in the Sand" & in my opinion that is the Greatest Neil Young song of all-time

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Dream Theater wouldn't be Dream Theater without their lengthy musical endeavours. To pick 3 favourites of mine. One is off their recent album.
Bridges in the Sky. Fantastic track.

Learning to live from Images and Words. Favourite song on what is a great second album.

In the Presence of Enemies from Systematic Chaos is brilliant. Pretty length song, goes well over 20 minutes if you don't go by the separate parts on the album.

I'm pleased that Dream Theatre's often quite 'ethereal' metal music is getting some exposure on here, I know you are a big fan Riff, I've been more curious about them over the years, rather than a true devotee, but I did get the Dramatic Turn of Events album, and it is just excellent. :grinthumb

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm pleased that Dream Theatre's often quite 'ethereal' metal music is getting some exposure on here, I know you are a big fan Riff, I've been more curious about them over the years, rather than a true devotee, but I did get the Dramatic Turn of Events album, and it is just excellent. :grinthumb

I agree, took me a few listens to be honest to get into Dramatic but once I did it got better every listen. I actually prefer the longer DT songs, I know I am in for a good long slow paced ride. :heheh:

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
OK, this is where I need to break out my main man Knopfler this morning!

Dire Straits 'Telegraph Road' comes in at 14 minutes 18 seconds on the studio version that was on the Love Over Gold album, then there's an ultra cool live version from the On Every Street live DVD which is around 13 minutes, either way it's a masterpiece, it's like a rock-operetta, for me on a par with Springsteen's 'Jungleland'...you just get transported away by the story telling and the mix of moods and tempos and pure musical sexiness!...it's beautiful, haunting, exciting, symphonic, rocking, moving, funky, jazzy, bluesy, and sultry all inside one 14 minute song, then the final rock-out in the closing 4-5 minutes is epic in itself instrumentally even if you somehow don't like what came just before it, here's both studio and live versions....Mark's finger-pickin' guitar play from about 8 minutes in the 'live' version from Basel, through to the end when they really start to rev it up, is all the evidence I need to convince myself that - amongst his other talents, which seem limitless - he's amongst the greatest guitarists in rock.
:bow::bow::bow:

Dire Straits - Telegraph Road

Mr.Camel

Dromedary
Reaction score
Desolation Row- Bob Dylan
Echoes- Pink Floyd
Mountain Jam- Allman Brothers Band
Baker Street Muse- Jethro Tull
The Gumbo Variations- Frank Zappa
The End- The Doors
A Saucerful of Secrets- Pink Floyd

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
This piece is actually 9:58, but I can't resist putting it in.

This is best listened to with a good set of headphones. A guitar in every ear.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Love this King Crimson tune that goes around 12 minutes.
Moonchild/The Dream/The Illusion

Something about 10 minute plus prog songs that I really love, more then the shorter length songs. The flow of it suits a more lengthy musical journey so to speak.

b.o.b.

Reaction score
:bow:

The panic seeps through bloodstained floors as Grendel stalks the night

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Going to name a couple of songs, not necessarily good ones either that far over stayed their welcome.

Dragon by Lou Reed and Metallica. The riffs themselves were not bad, but as the rest of the album goes this also overstays its welcome after even 7 minutes let alone the 11 minutes it goes for. The only song that overdid it more then this one was Junior Dad easily.

Now onto something actually decent. Opeth do plenty of awesome 10 plus minute songs. Black Rose Immortal actually goes to 20 minutes. An absolute epic in the prog metal scene.

Rush with 2112 is another song I consider a masterpiece also. Again goes for 20 minutes.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online