• I Can't Decide

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have to say yes. If it were not for "Some Girls", I would have never given much attention to The Rolling Stones. "Some Girls" and "Tattoo You" are my favorite albums and the reason I went back to check out their older stuff......

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
I have to say yes. If it were not for "Some Girls", I would have never given much attention to The Rolling Stones. "Some Girls" and "Tattoo You" are my favorite albums and the reason I went back to check out their older stuff......

Tattoo You! :tup:

Mr. Bob Dobolina

Reaction score
I voted yes. While it is a different type of sound than the other albums mentioned, it seemed to come at a time when the Stones were getting a tad lazy. The new sounds coming out of popular music at the time (disco and punk) seemed to give them a kick. "Some Girls" and "Lies", back to back, is about as good a one-two punch as the Stones have ever delivered.

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
I voted yes. While it is a different type of sound than the other albums mentioned, it seemed to come at a time when the Stones were getting a tad lazy. The new sounds coming out of popular music at the time (disco and punk) seemed to give them a kick. "Some Girls" and "Lies", back to back, is about as good a one-two punch as the Stones have ever delivered.
Yes it made them relevant or stay relevant in changing musical climate of the time. I wish the'd play "When The Whip Comes Down" from time to time. I turn the dial whenever "Miss You" miss you comes on. The same goes with "Shattered" as well...

joe

Reaction score
A few years ago I would have said No without hesitation,,,but Some Girls has become one of my favorite Stones albums now. I was tempted to vote "Can't Decide" but didn't want to get the business from Joe for waffling...:heheh:

Just a side note, have you seen the double vinyl album of Some Girls yet Joe, I picked up a copy a couple of days ago.

Waffle:oyea: Great verb there LG. I wouldn't give ya the gears as I whiff and **** on these polls all the time.

joe

Reaction score
After listening to Black And Blue>Some Girls>Emotional Rescue yesterday as it's been years since I listened to any of these three albums, I'd call Some Girls a "Sell Out" on the basis of egoism in that they were trying to stay relevant in the era of disco and punk though the album does have the traditional Stones' trademarks of R&B, blues and country rock and the dirty gritty sound, but overall a very inconsistent album IMO. I wouldn't go as far as to say that this album was a "Sell Out" in regards to financial gains as the band was raking in the big bucks on thier tours years preceding Some Girls and might be quite possible that they were making more money on tour than albums sales during this time(?).

Not a bad album, but not a good album either. Average. Better than the "jam" of Black And Blue and definitely better than the "leftovers" of Emotional Rescue.

"Miss You", a Bee Gees inspired track. "Disco sucks". Most of the tracks are just OK. "Before They Make Me Run" is the standout track for me as I remember all the commotion going at around that time with Keith getting busted here in Canada and the boys partying with Maggie Trudeau, our Prime Minister's wife at the time. Ironically, "Shattered" skipped on my vinyl as it's a mess.

I'd dump this album in the same bucket with Rod Stewart's, "Blondes Have More Fun" and "Dynasty" from Kiss.

No comparison with the Stones' classics and I prefer the band's early recordings from the first wave of the British Blues Revival though it does somewhat sound outdated today as the band was playing music they loved. I'm not so sure if this is the case with Some Girls.

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
After listening to Black And Blue>Some Girls>Emotional Rescue yesterday as it's been years since I listened to any of these three albums, I'd call Some Girls a "Sell Out" on the basis of egoism in that they were trying to stay relevant in the era of disco and punk though the album does have the traditional Stones' trademarks of R&B, blues and country rock and the dirty gritty sound, but overall a very inconsistent album IMO. I wouldn't go as far as to say that this album was a "Sell Out" in regards to financial gains as the band was raking in the big bucks on thier tours years preceding Some Girls and might be quite possible that they were making more money on tour than albums sales during this time(?).

Not a bad album, but not a good album either. Average. Better than the "jam" of Black And Blue and definitely better than the "leftovers" of Emotional Rescue.

"Miss You", a Bee Gees inspired track. "Disco sucks". Most of the tracks are just OK. "Before They Make Me Run" is the standout track for me as I remember all the commotion going at around that time with Keith getting busted here in Canada and the boys partying with Maggie Trudeau, our Prime Minister's wife at the time. Ironically, "Shattered" skipped on my vinyl as it's a mess.

I'd dump this album in the same bucket with Rod Stewart's, "Blondes Have More Fun" and "Dynasty" from Kiss.

No comparison with the Stones' classics and I prefer the band's early recordings from the first wave of the British Blues Revival though it does somewhat sound outdated today as the band was playing music they loved. I'm not so sure if this is the case with Some Girls.
I've always thought "Some Girls" was more punkish in some sense. It was more modern in a way while not coming off over-produced and layered. The Richards song is a really good one as he sings it in a drowsy, laid back tone.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
"Miss You", a Bee Gees inspired track. "Disco sucks". .

I agree, ''Disco Sucks'', and that's for another thread. But please don't put The Rolling Stones on the same level as The Bee Gees - not even for a second.

''Miss You'', if anything, is a light disco song - nothing comapared to hardcore disco of that time, or the flakey The Bee Gees.

I'd even go as far as saying ''Miss You'' was more of a pop song, than a dico song -- it didn't have that heavy annoying disco beat.

:cheers2

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online