Single Disc Physical Graffiti

Khor1255

Reaction score
Yep, it doesn't deviate from the main theme too far. I can get where this might be off-putting after several measures.

I'm going to give this a shot:

Side one
1. "In the Light" 8:46
2. "The Wanton Song" 4:10
3. "Night Flight" 3:36
4. "Ten Years Gone" 6:32

Side two
5. "Bron-Yr-Aur" 2:06
6. "Kashmir" 8:32
7. "In My Time of Dying" 11:04

Man, that was brutal and I cheated and made each side longer than they would likely have allowed.

This was not a good album to start with....

Last edited:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Those three are among my favorites. I especially like In The Light. I think JPJ is brilliant on that track and just really dig the whole feel.

I agree those 3 are good tunes but given I had to shave some songs to make just one album I couldn't personally take others off. I love every song really on this album.

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
Yeah, it always comes down to tastes but I do love long songs so it's not the length that flubs "Kashmr" for me. ("In My Time of Dying" being my favorite Zeppelin song should prove that well enough) I just feel like it plods around in too much of a circle as opposed to...."Bat Out of Hell" or "Bohemian Rhapsody" or even "Stairway..." for that matter have a much stronger feeling of progression and climax to my ear.

I'm totally with you here, that's exactly how I feel couldn't have said this better myself. It's a good song, there's just too much of it for my liking.

My own favourite LZ song is When The Levee Breaks, which is shorter than Kashmir but still a pretty long song by most standards, so I'm with you in not having a problem with lengthy songs, in fact often the longest songs are my favourites!

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
Nope. The melody is good and I like the riff but I think it's about 3 or 4 minutes too long. It's so bloated that I almost never can sit and listen to it the whole way through.

Yeah, it always comes down to tastes but I do love long songs so it's not the length that flubs "Kashmr" for me. ("In My Time of Dying" being my favorite Zeppelin song should prove that well enough) I just feel like it plods around in too much of a circle as opposed to...."Bat Out of Hell" or "Bohemian Rhapsody" or even "Stairway..." for that matter have a much stronger feeling of progression and climax to my ear.

I'm totally with you here, that's exactly how I feel couldn't have said this better myself. It's a good song, there's just too much of it for my liking.

My own favourite LZ song is When The Levee Breaks, which is shorter than Kashmir but still a pretty long song by most standards, so I'm with you in not having a problem with lengthy songs, in fact often the longest songs are my favourites!

Agree 100% with both of you! Kashmir sounds all mysterious and nice for a while but it is way too repetitive and bloated to keep my attention for the whole thing. I can never understand all the hype this song attracts.

It doesn't help that Kashmir follows Trampled Underfoot, another song I'm not a huge fan of on this album. Often while listening to the album, after Houses Of The Holy I will skip both these songs entirely and go to Disc 2's In The Light. :peek

Cosmic, speaking of In My Time Of Dying, it is also one of my top top favourites from this band! That blues guitar and those drums... epic!!! :bow:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Good to see I'm not the only one. I usually get crucified for not thinking "Kashmir" is the best Zeppelin song ever. :heheh:

Khor1255

Reaction score
I wasn't trying to down you. I just though it a little odd that of all the fluff on the album you chose what I think is one of the better tunes.

To each his own.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Oh, I didn't think you were, Khor. I was just saying that it's happened other places and times because "Kashmir" is such a definitive Led Zeppelin song. I wasn't directing anything at you. :)

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
I've never previously attempted to put together a single disc version of Physical Graffiti, but last week I decided to give it an attempt. I then remembered there was a thread on the topic from my early days on this forum so I will post about it here.

My main aim was to create a single album for my own listening pleasure, as opposed to an attempt to best-guess what the band would have released on a single LP. However, I did want to ensure that my version ran to a realistic time for the vinyl era. I therefore decided to focus on the eight 'new' songs recorded at Headley Grange in 1974 as opposed to the earlier outtakes that made up the rest of the album. The combined running time of these eight songs is about 52 minutes, which could have fitted on a single LP but practically this would have led to reduced sound quality so I aimed for a more realistic maximum runtime of 45 minutes. This meant at least one track would have to be cut, but in order to accommodate seven tracks (the same as Zeppelin’s next two albums), one of the three longest tracks (In My Time of Dying, Kashmir and In The Light) would have to be dropped. Cutting Kashmir (which I now love, unlike when I lasted post in this thread!) was unthinkable to me, so it was between ‘Dying’ and ‘Light’ – I kept the former at the expense of the latter out of personal preference.

I then started to give consideration to creating a tracklist, trying to ensure that both 'album sides' had a reasonably realistic runtime. I decided to retain Custard Pie and Sick Again as the album opener and closer respectively as I think they perform those roles well on the album proper. I put In My Time of Dying at the end of side 1 with Kashmir at the start of side 2, as I felt Kashmir was better suited to opening the second half of the album. Ten Years Gone was given the penultimate slot on side 2, which seemed the correct place for the most laid-back of the remaining songs. The remaining two tracks then fell into place, with Trampled Under Foot on side 1 and The Wanton Song on side 2 to balances the length of the two album sides, giving me the following tracklist (the dash denotes the end of side 1/start of side 2):

1. Custard Pie (4:14)
2. Trampled Under Foot (5:37)
3. In My Time of Dying (11:06)

-------------------------

4. Kashmir (8:28)
5. The Wanton Song (4:10)
6. Ten Years Gone (6:33)
7. Sick Again (4:43)

Side 1 has a runtime of 20:53 and Side 2 has a runtime of 23:52, giving an overall time of 44:46, approximately the same length as Presence (released the following year).

I love Physical Graffiti as it is and am very glad it was released as a double album, but I was pleased with the song selection and sequencing of my single disc version and it provided a highly satisfying alternative listen. With the benefit of hindsight, had I kept In The Light (8:47) rather than In My Time of Dying, I would probably have been able to fit in another relatively short track on side 1 - Houses of the Holy (4:02) would be the best candidate as it is shorter than The Rover (5:37) but a stronger song than the other outtakes. Had I done so I would probably have put Kashmir at the end of side 1 with In The Light on side 2, making the single disc more of a true abridged version of the double album. Something I’d happily try out another time…

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online